Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sounds question

John4216

Cavy Slave
I am wondering about the sounds that my dominant piggie is making. It sounds almost like a cat purring right now. She is laying down and just making a low purring sound. She also has been making little soft wheeks but seems perfectly fine. The first time she ever did this I took her to the vet and he thought she might be constipated but I am seeing a pattern in that she does this every so many weeks for a day or two and then stops. Could it be she is in a fertility cycle and this is why she is making the noise?

Poohbear
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Miss Piggy

Cavy Slave
Really? I hear the same sounds from my pig, but it's when she's get nudged by the other piggies. I thought it meant she was irritated??

John4216

Cavy Slave
Yeah mine less dominant ones make the rumble sound but this is more like a purring and sometimes soft 2 little wheeks even when sleeping sometimes.

Guinea pig guy

John4216

Cavy Slave
Thank you that was helpful. I think she was doing the content sounds and the annoyed go away sounds and now I know what is what it helps alot...she made the go away sounds when eating as the other piggies are quite the thieves and she is the dominant one, I just hope that she isn't making the noise at me also as she seems to enjoy sitting next to me while eating.

jennz11

Cavy Slave
ya the "purring sound" means they're happy. Isn't it cute? mine do it all the time when they get treats or i pet them. they vibrate too.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Hmm... Ascot purs wildly when I stroke him, but his purr sounds like the angry pur. He always seems comfortable though and often he will rest his head in my lay, so I don't know...

Jenn, on the first link that gpg wrote it says this:

Sounds Your pig will make a fairly loud 'brrrrrr' noise - if you are holding your pig at the time you will feel her vibrate (not to be confused with the softer happy purr of a happy pig).

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
I think the only way to judge is to use your instincts, if your guinea pig is lying down sleeping or looks very happy and peaceful with no other pigs around, its is probably a purr. If they are around other guinea pigs and are walking around while they do it, it could be rumble strutting which is them kinda putting their scent down so other piggies ,(even solitary pigs in new places) , know that where the piggy is, is his or her place

BaysideBandGeek

Cavy Slave
When my boys "purr" they're either going to try and get freaky, or go into mass pop corning frenzies. It's funny. Suck big sounds come from such cute little creatures.

Poohbear
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.