Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sometimes I think it would be easier not to care...

CrazyMom

Cavy Slave
I know this topic comes up a lot but here we go again. I just got back from a little girls 6th birthday party where she got a guinea pig. The pig was delivered in a cardboard box along with some hay. That was it. The mom didn't even know it was coming, she didn't even have a cage. When I got there ( a little late) I found out about the guinea pig and found the box shoved under a chair, I suppose so the kids wouldnt mess with it. I closed the door and got the Piggie out, found out it was a boy and let him sit on my lap. He was so sweet and chill. I talked to the mom about him and told her I would help her build a cage, because she was going out tonight to buy one. She was really receptive about it, but when I was looking around there house I didn't find a place to put a cage. It is really tiny house. I still have my 2x3 coroplast so I am going to offer it to her. I know he is still in a box under the chair in the nursery because the baby just went to sleep when I left. I sat down with the little girl and explained that the Piggie needed a salad everyday, but she is only 6 so we will see.

I'd defitely mention you'd be willing to take him in if they decide it's not a good fit for them. If you *are* willing, that is. Not trying to force you!:p

Hopefully everything works out for that baby guinea piggie!

I'd defitely mention you'd be willing to take him in if they decide it's not a good fit for them. If you *are* willing, that is. Not trying to force you!:p

Hopefully everything works out for that baby guinea piggie!

I agree with this all the way. I know sometimes its tough having a love for animals and to others its just an animal. Its almost a curse sometimes. I feel for you and praying for the best. Just keep in touch with her and do what you can.

Pets should never, ever be given as "surprise" gifts. Whoever brought that piggy should have talked with the mom first and OK'd it so the family was ready for the piggy. Both in having a place to put it and the financial burden of having to buy a cage, food, hay, etc! At least they have you to call if they need some help. Maybe send the mom over here to get some good care advice. I'm glad you talked to her about C&Cs hopefully she listens and this doesn't turn out to be a sad thing.

Tick me off. People are so ignorant. Animals are not gifts or surprises to be given, esp not to a child. Thank goodness she has you to turn to for advice and instruction. Stuck in a box under a chair. For gods sake...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.