Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Bloated Something odd going on here.

Smudgetoffee

Cavy Slave
Smudge is a pig of nearly 6.5 years. Has had a history of bloating issues with no discernible cause for the last 4 years and an impaction problem for the last few months.

Usually, the bloat is treated successfully with a 1ml dose of Fibreplex, and the impact is treated in the usual forced-removal fashion.

Something a bit strange is going on with him right now - he's not lethargic, his eyes are clear and perky and his reactions are normal. He still scuttles off in a hurry if you put him out in the open. But he doesn't move around much of his own will.

He's eating and drinking fine, and weeing properly, but I'm not seeing a huge amount of poo (though there is some, and oddly enough it appears normal). He feels quite bloated but:

a) isn't responding to Fibreplex dosing as of yet and
b) seems to be trying to poo even though nothing currently seems to be there/visible.

Breathing is perfectly clear.

What could be going on here? Is there a chance the impact is stuck further up and has yet to appear?

His condition hasn't deteriorated over the last few days while it hasn't got any better. We're keeping a close eye on him and hopefully the extra Fibreplex dosing will work.

Cheers

Smudge is a pig of nearly 6.5 years. Has had a history of bloating issues with no discernible cause for the last 4 years and an impaction problem for the last few months.

Usually, the bloat is treated successfully with a 1ml dose of Fibreplex, and the impact is treated in the usual forced-removal fashion.

Something a bit strange is going on with him right now - he's not lethargic, his eyes are clear and perky and his reactions are normal. He still scuttles off in a hurry if you put him out in the open. But he doesn't move around much of his own will.

He's eating and drinking fine, and weeing properly, but I'm not seeing a huge amount of poo (though there is some, and oddly enough it appears normal). He feels quite bloated but:

a) isn't responding to Fibreplex dosing as of yet and
b) seems to be trying to poo even though nothing currently seems to be there/visible.

Breathing is perfectly clear.

What could be going on here? Is there a chance the impact is stuck further up and has yet to appear?

His condition hasn't deteriorated over the last few days while it hasn't got any better. We're keeping a close eye on him and hopefully the extra Fibreplex dosing will work.

Cheers

maybe he is not only bloated but constipated as well. i have never had any problems with impaction with my piggie however one time he was very constipated and sounds similar to the problems your describing. he was eating and acting perfectly fine but not pooping and when i first got him i was always told if he either stops eating or i see him not leaving any pellets something could be wrong... however it was just a bad case of constipation i guess i had fed him something he didnt agree with much. (when he first came i tried out new things to see what he liked the most).. let me know what happens and if you see progress :(

Have you been weighing him? Less poop usually means the pig is not eating as much.

So he's showing signs of straining? Does he squeak or act in pain when he poops?

Impaction occurs only in the sac.

Going to weigh him later tonight and compare it with his vet's weight. He's always been quite a heavy lad, about 1.27~1.3KG over the last few years.

He doesn't appear to be in pain when pooing, he does make small straining noises when trying to massage his bloat, though.

He's eaten silly amounts of grass this afternoon which is what's worrying me, incase there's some kind of intestinal blockage or something.

If he was blocked he wouldn't eat at all.

Just weighed him, he's actually gone up to 1.36KG so all clear there.

He's looking a lot better, his behaviour has returned to normal and the bloat has gone to some extent, but his eyes are suddenly looking a bit crusty. Breathing is still sounding normal but I think I'd best keep an eye on him still.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.