Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick something coming out of anus?

hutchens

Cavy Slave
I just got a female a few weeks ago and am learning how to care for her properly. She started lightly bleeding so I looked more closely and she has something (looks like intestines) coming out of her anus (I think). When I look very closely at her underside, there is a front hole and a back hole, this is coming from the back hole. Any ideas of what this could be?

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
No idea, but you better get that piggy to a vet.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I agree that you need to get to a vet asap. I wonder if it ate something like plastic or something it can't digest and it got tangled in it's intestines.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
How is your guinea pig? What did the vet say?

Cogni

Cavy Slave
Sounds very alarming. Did she pass any more blood? What did the vet say?

hutchens

Cavy Slave
I took Cali to the vet. He said it was a rectal prolapse. Basically, her rectum turned inside out and came out. This is common in some other animals, but he has never seen it before in a guinea pig. We had only had her a few weeks, he thought she probably had some underlying intestinal issues. He put her under anesthesia to fix the problem, but unfortunately, she was too small and the anesthesia killed her.

We went the next day and got a new one her name is Saraphina.

Cogni

Cavy Slave
Wow. I hope your vet is an experienced exotics vet. I have heard of the cecum becoming inverted but not the rectum next to it. Poor little one.

Did you buy Saraphina from a pet store?

hutchens

Cavy Slave
Yes, I got her from a pet store.

Sirene

Cavy Slave
I took Cali to the vet. He said it was a rectal prolapse. Basically, her rectum turned inside out and came out. This is common in some other animals, but he has never seen it before in a guinea pig. We had only had her a few weeks, he thought she probably had some underlying intestinal issues. He put her under anesthesia to fix the problem, but unfortunately, she was too small and the anesthesia killed her.

I am so sorry you lost Cali. It's great that you took her to the vet and got help for her, poor little pig. It's a shame she died under the anaesthetic, though. Is your vet an experienced guinea pig vet? I am just asking because there are many pigs on this site who have been through (multiple) surgeries, and the anaesthesia doesn't kill them. Experienced guinea pig vets know how to safely sedate very small animals, and finding one in your area might just save your next guinea pig who needs surgery.

New pigs are very exciting, but buying guinea pigs from pet stores only encourages and supports some very cruel breeding and handling practices. It also promotes the idea that pets are disposable (i.e. "my pet died, so I bought a new one") rather than living creatures. (There is a lot of information on "behind the scenes" at pet stores on this site, and buying anything from pet stores is discouraged here for this reason.) Please consider adopting a guinea pig from a shelter or rescue when you get Saraphina a friend.

Having said that, there is a TON of great information here, including instructions on making and customizing your own C&C cage, which can get really addictive! You should also look at the Diet section and read about which kinds of hay and pellets are best to feed. Please post if you have any questions!

cam767

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for your loss.

cetd27

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry you lost your little piggie so soon. I lost my piggie 17 days after I had her. It was really hard ( we lost her at the vets office from pneumonia) I didn't know what I was going to do. I knew that guinea pigs are happier in pairs. I felt so bad that my piggie would be lonely, I spent even more time with her and that's when I became very attached and wanted to know everything I could about these little guys! I am adopting a neutered boy piggie on Sunday. The wait has been hard but I know it will be worth it! I hope your new piggie is healthy and everything works out. This website has been extremely helpful!

saraphina4life

Cavy Gazer

is saraphina still alive (important question)

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I think we need to start locking these old threads
I disagree. The reason being that the information in them is still valuable. Sometimes people may need to come back and edit something a couple.years later. Not to mention, it cuts down on new threads that may not be necessary.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
In the old system, threads were closed after six months. If you wanted to post, you were instructed to start a new thread, and in the first post, put the link to the old one.

I think that some of these people digging up very old threads are trolls, and having that extra step might cut down on some of their mischief. I would prefer that the cutoff be longer than six months, though. Maybe a year.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That they are trolls is entirely possible. I've been getting rid of quite a few lately lol.

I understand the benefits of locking threads. I do, however, barring trolls, feel that leaving them unlocked is better for continuity's sake especially in light of ongoing medical threads.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.