Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine Someone please help!!!!

ricanxay

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,

Well im new at this maybe someone can help me out.

i just bought a guinea pig 1 month ago...i use a underpads ( disposable linner for pee pee accidents for bed ) when i put him on my bed for playtime ( i use it as litter box) ...when i was cleanning everything, i noticed his pee was orangy/red and some had crystalized..what is it? im not sure if it crystalized due to the material of the linner or if its somethimg more serious. can someone please help me.

If it is red or pinkish it could be a UTI https://www.guinealynx.info/uti.html. If it is crystallized on the bottom of the cage (hard) that is normal and a soak with 1/2 water 1/2 white vinegar will take it off. If the urine is orange that is pretty normal but if it is red or pinkish please go to a vet for treatment.

"Blood in urine:

Urine sometimes changes to an orange color on standing (this may be the oxidation of porphyrins in the urine). When your guinea pig has blood in its urine, it will appear red or pinkish (if diluted). Blood dries a brownish color."

This is just my opinion, but...

It sounds like your guinea pig has bladder stones forming. Right now they are small crystrals that can irritate her on the way out, causing the pinkish/orange blood trace in her urine. Please read here:https://www.guinealynx.info/stones.html

How old is your guinea pig? I read that young guinea pigs urine can be an orange colour. When my girls were young and eating grass their urine was more of an orange colour. I was really worried until I read about it.

it could be a bladder stone, you should consult your vet right away.

@ricanxay, first take him off that kind of litter, and see if it happens again. Urine turns an orangey-brown color as it oxidizes, and it may be perfectly normal. The crystals are more worrisome, and you need to find out if it's because of the bedding, or if something is wrong with your pig.

If you continue to have crystals after trying another kind of bedding, or if the urine changes to a pinkish-reddish color, or if you notice any signs of pain (hunching, squeaking, etc) when he urinates, then a vet visit is in order.

When he pee in the cage or his litter box I have never seen it crystallize . Idk if it's the bed linner ttthat made it crystallize. The linner is made for humans to absorb pee if they have a bed accident.

He is 5 months old. Two hours before I gave him some grass as well.

I want to thank everyone for ur replies. You all were very supporting and informative, something u don't see in a lot of sites

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.