Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Some people are so...

SheriMartini

Cavy Slave
Why do you think CPS would be involved, unless the entire house is a disaster and the child is neglected along with the guinea pigs?

I do not know what protocol any of these agencies have, but I would assume that if someone is being investigated for animal abuse, that there would also be an investigation for child abuse. I know that in this situation child abuse is not going on, as all time is being devoted TO the child.

But, if a CPS investigation WAS to happen, it would add a considerable amount of stress to all parties involved.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
If someone comes out the check on the animals it does not warrant CPS to be contacted. If the house is a disaster and they see other things that might look suspicious than CPS can be contacted. CPS does not only deal with child abuse but neglect and other things.

4piggers

Cavy Slave
There was a call right around the block from me, I helped take in reptiles, chinchillas, guinea pigs, sugar gliders...they were hoarders, calling themselves a rescue. They did call CPS....granted the house was wicked bad...they found dead bodies of animals through the house...they had to do the full arrest thing.

Talk about freaky, seeing Im seriously a few houses away, and came to take animals from the trucks as they pulled them (I didnt have to go in the home) and the owners where in handcuffs, the kid was taken away screaming.

They had a tip off and apparently watching the home, I just heard tires screeching, sirens going, and 45 min later my cell went off and told me to get over there.

Ok...that was completely off topic. Sorry.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
There was a call right around the block from me, I helped take in reptiles, chinchillas, guinea pigs, sugar gliders...they were hoarders, calling themselves a rescue. They did call CPS....granted the house was wicked bad...they found dead bodies of animals through the house...they had to do the full arrest thing.

Talk about freaky, seeing Im seriously a few houses away, and came to take animals from the trucks as they pulled them (I didnt have to go in the home) and the owners where in handcuffs, the kid was taken away screaming.

They had a tip off and apparently watching the home, I just heard tires screeching, sirens going, and 45 min later my cell went off and told me to get over there.

Ok...that was completely off topic. Sorry.

That's terrible! Glad you where there to help. Hopefully those pet find good homes and that the children have somewhere safe to go. If it were me there I dont think I would have wanted to go in either, it would have crushed my heart to see such a thing.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Why do you think CPS would be involved, unless the entire house is a disaster and the child is neglected along with the guinea pigs?

I completely understand that you aren’t in a position to offer financial help and I think it’s wise for you to not get involved that way. Your plan is a good one, I think, but you need to be prepared for some tough love if conditions don’t improve permanently for the pigs. Tough love, meaning that you can’t be friends with someone who would not do the best they can for a living thing.

What advice? It sounds like Sheri has already conveyed what guinea pigs need and it fell on deaf ears. Why would giving second hand info from a stranger make it any more palatable?

Well, it's no different then coming here and consulting with strangers. After all, that's what we are here, all a bunch of strangers trying to help one another out. Sure there may be a few people here that know one another. But anyways, Sheri made her decision, which I think she chose well. There isn't really more to talk about on it because it's over and something is being done. I wish everyone in the situation well and hope the outcome is good.

4piggers

Cavy Slave
That's terrible! Glad you where there to help. Hopefully those pet find good homes and that the children have somewhere safe to go. If it were me there I dont think I would have wanted to go in either, it would have crushed my heart to see such a thing.

Most were sick, and didnt live long. Others I kept for about a year to get in better health then they past on.

The smell from the house was just...unexplainable. Being at the trucks was bad enough.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Most were sick, and didnt live long. Others I kept for about a year to get in better health then they past on.

The smell from the house was just...unexplainable. Being at the trucks was bad enough.

Oh my, I couldn't even imagine. Even just reading what your wrote is really pulling at my heart strings! It makes me feel so powerless to know things liek that are still going on in the world and still on a big scale.

4piggers

Cavy Slave
Oh my, I couldn't even imagine. Even just reading what your wrote is really pulling at my heart strings! It makes me feel so powerless to know things liek that are still going on in the world and still on a big scale.

We didnt even know it was going on only a mere 5 houses away till the authorities showed up.

Adorable

Cavy Slave
Well, it's no different then coming here and consulting with strangers. After all, that's what we are here, all a bunch of strangers trying to help one another out.

I think it is a bit different to get various opinions from people on a message board about ways to help the pigs than to suddenly involve animal control.

From what I understand, these pigs have a history of neglect. It would have been nice for them if Sheri had taken the direct approach sooner but it’s not too late. In fact, it’s probably the optimal time if her friend is overwhelmed with a new baby.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
I think it is a bit different to get various opinions from people on a message board about ways to help the pigs than to suddenly involve animal control.

From what I understand, these pigs have a history of neglect. It would have been nice for them if Sheri had taken the direct approach sooner but it’s not too late. In fact, it’s probably the optimal time if her friend is overwhelmed with a new baby.

I agree, now is the best time to help out and step in, better then nothing. I hope that girl is also getting help for herself as well. Things can go wrong in an instant for either her or the baby or maybe even both. It's a scary thing! When I went through it, I felt like a monster and a total stranger to myself. I wouldn't even wish it on my worst enemy to go through.

SheriMartini

Cavy Slave
Well, I know it's been a bit since this has been updated, but I wanted to keep all of the info in the same thread!

Yesterday my fiance and I were able to get one of the pigs from our friends. The youngest was from the same litter as Fajita, and we decided to take him (Puppy) in. I haven't had a chance to talk to my friend Manda, but she posted that she was happy that Puppy is gone... I suppose her loss is our gain! But any less stress on her part will be good for all!

I was not home when Kevin (my fiance) brought him home, and they ended up in the same cage before I had the chance to do anything, so quarantine period went out the window! But, I am prepared (monetarily) if anything does go wrong.

Thus far, things have been interesting, that's for sure! Once I got home, I put them down for floor time, as we can block off our hallway for them. It was a bit stressful at first, but like everyone said, I just let them get everything worked out. There are still some issues with getting used to each other, as they are both young and used to being only-piggies. When we were too tired to supervise, we put them into the 2X3 cage, and by morning I realized that I couldn't wait one more day to expand. It was a MESS! Carefresh, hay, poop, and unfortunately a few little tufts of hair that were pulled out...

We spent the majority of the day driving around town to pick up all of the stuff to expand. We now have a very rough version of a 2X5 and officially no dining room! :) I created a 2X2 box for the kitchen area, and took down the one side of the existing 2X3 so they have to hop over the fleece a bit to get to each side... but it is MUCH better than the alternative!

I know that I have done all that I can to better this situation for EVERYONE (humans & animals), and I can officially sleep well!

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Good job! Glad you were able to help her out. I hope they get along better with the bigger space and that things turn out well, I wish you well!

SheriMartini

Cavy Slave
They seem to be enjoying each other a lot! Fajita was just grooming Puppy (I think... haha).

I had to give Puppy a bit of a bath as his bottom was filthy! He has long hair on his backside, and his underneath was obviously dirty from sitting in his feces. I put him in the sink with a little bit of water, and then after he scrambled into my arms and successfully soaked me and got hair all over, we had a bonding moment while he was wrapped up in one of those hair-a-gami things. He was all comfy cozy and really seemed to enjoy it. Only a few teeth chatters when I was drying his bottom.

My fiance and I were able to clip his nails and all is well in the guinea household tonight :)

SheriMartini

Cavy Slave
Well... so much for a happy guinea household! I spoke way too soon... heh.

They are having some issues figuring out who is dominate. Fajita seemed to be the dominate one, as last night and this morning Puppy was allowing Fajita to mount with no problems. But they have scrapping matches tonight, and Fajita is acting like he is terrified of Puppy. At one point, any time Puppy would come close, Fajita would run and hide. When Fajita had been perfectly happy being the bully and taking a baby carrot right out of Puppy's mouth!

Like I said, other than a few random tufts of hair and a lot of rumble strutting, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of serious aggression. But, I am concerned that one will get injured. I have two hideys, in two separate areas of the cage, and two hay areas. Only one water bottle and one pellet dish, as they don't really seem to fight over them.

Puppy was following Fajita around this morning, and Fajita did a lot of rumble strutting. But now with the recent events of Fajita being scared of Puppy, I'm getting more nervous. In fact, at this very moment I hear some rumbling... goodness gracious!

Someone please tell me they will work it out because I have a horrible tendency of worrying!

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Well, if their no blood, then maybe you should just let it play out a bit more. It's good that you got them two of everything and lots of space. If you see blood, then worry about separating them.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
What size is the cage they're in? I know your fiance put the pigs together right away, did he clean out the cage and put everything down fresh so it would seem like 'neutral' territory? That would probably help a bit to ease the tension if it hasn't already been done.

Bless you for taking the poor thing in!

SheriMartini

Cavy Slave
No blood as of yet, thank goodness!

They are in a 2X5, but unfortunately I had to use two separate pieces of coroplast due to the existing fleece that I use. So there is a bit of a "wall" of fleece, but it is easily jumped over as they are young and agile; it doesn't seem to slow them down a bit!

While they were down for floor time the first night, I did clean everything with vinegar and put down freshly washed fleece. And obviously, the kitchen area is new as it was just created yesterday. :) I did get quite a few popcorns this morning while I was cleaning the cage, but at the moment I hear some rumble strutting. And Fajita is still being a bully and taking food from Puppy. I try to get them in separate areas during food time, but this was just an afternoon snack (for being so cute! haha).

I was telling my fiance how I interpret Fajita's thought process regarding Puppy... "You can have anything you want... as long as I don't want it!" Silly guineas!

Sponge

Cavy Slave
It's so nice of you to have taken Puppy in. I bet that eases a lot off your friends mind (she wouldn't have been feeling ok with the neglect of the guinea pig), I imagine she is incredibly tired from the baby and the stress (neglecting=stress/guilt) of taking care of a guinea pig too wouldn't have helped her self esteem or PPD.

I'm pleased you found a suitable outcome. I love how I've found a community so dedicated to the welfare of guinea pigs. It really warms my heart :)

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Have you tried a buddy bath and a full cage cleaning? Sometimes that works and they warm up to each other. Like somebody said, start from ground zero!

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
As has already been said, I wouldn't worry unless you see bloodshed.

I wouldn't think that the "wall" of fleece would have anything to do with it, but maybe when you get some down time, someone could cut off the wall, and tape the two pieces of coroplast together to make it "one" piece.

Whatever you do, don't seperate them unless you see blood. As you've probably read on here before, their behavior may make you nervous and unsettled, but seperating them will only make it worse, as they would have to begin the pecking order process all over again.

And your cage is plenty big enough, by the way.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.