Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Solo sugar

Smile4amile

Cavy Slave
I have a solo guinea pig named sugar. I am looking for a friend for her , but I don't know how to Introduce 2 guinea pigs! Can someone help me please?

WheekingPiggies

Cavy Slave

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
First, don't buy your pig your pig from a petstore. Find another pig on craigslist or petfinder or at a shelter. Next you will need a large space where neither pig has been before. Have a pile of hay and veggies and put one pig at each end of the area/pen. Normal things are mounting, rumble strutting, teeth chattering (to a certain extent) and butt sniffing. Don't take the pigs out unless there is bloodshed or fighting. Also quarentine is a must for 3 weeks until you make sure your new pig isn't sick. You can skip quarentine but there is a risk of letting your pig get sick. Also let your new pig settle in before you introduce it to Sugar.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Also, when you get your new piggie make sure they are the same gender (or that one of them is spayed/neutered), their genitalia should look the same.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Some shelters will let you take your pig so your pig can pick it's buddy. I'd say go for that if you can. That way you don't stress so much if they will get along.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.