Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Diarrhea Soft lumps of poo

sleepingchild

Cavy Slave
Over the past 3 days while picking up poops from my boys, I noticed some large lumps of soft poop in the cage. I say lumps because they don't even look like they came out of their behind...no shape whatsoever, just like they decided to smoosh some poop together into a mound.

Nothing has changed in their care other than a switch to KM timothy hay which they have unlimited amounts of. I don't even know which pig it is as I have 3.

Any ideas? Should I be worried? They haven't lost any weight either since I checked them on Monday. :(

The first thing to do is to figure out which pig it is. You can put a towel in the bottom of laundry baskets or big boxes, separate the pigs, give them something to eat, and wait until they poop. It shouldn't take too long!

Second, once you've figured out which one it is, cut out some or all of the veggies for that pig. That may clear things up. If not, it's off to the vet.

What is their veggie diet like?

The first thing to do is to figure out which pig it is. You can put a towel in the bottom of laundry baskets or big boxes, separate the pigs, give them something to eat, and wait until they poop. It shouldn't take too long!

Second, once you've figured out which one it is, cut out some or all of the veggies for that pig. That may clear things up. If not, it's off to the vet.

What is their veggie diet like?

I'll do that! Basically they get one cup of veggies per pig every day, though it's divided to eating twice a day. I give them leafy lettuce with every meal that doesn't count towards that quota, so perhaps that's where the problem is?

Otherwise, the veggies they get (which are rotated) are green peppers, red peppers, yellow peppers, radishes, snap peas, carrots, cucumbers, cranberries, celery and cilantro. The leafy lettuces that come with every meal (which are also rotated) are swiss chard, turnip greens, red lettuce, green lettuce, romaine lettuce.

For starters, I'd completely cut the cucumber out. One of my two gets mushy poop every time she's fed cucumber, no matter how small the amount. Cutting it out always improves things, and might fix it for your pigs too.

Turnip greens can be a little harsh also. I think I'd suspend them until you find out for sure that they're not the cause.

You might cut back on the quantity of the veggies somewhat, also, but don't cut them completely out. If you've got one that's sick for some other reason, you don't want to withhold food.

Ok. Thank you so much for the advice! Hopefully these changes will clear things up.

I forgot to say, if those things don't improve the situation in a day or so, I'd take the sick one to the vet. Probably a dose of Flagyl, which is about as cheap a medication as you can get, would do the trick.

Also weigh daily at the same time of day, preferably before they eat. If one is losing weight, that's no doubt your sick one. And loss of weight that doesn't stop with a diet change definitely requires a vet visit.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.