Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior so sad for poor newman

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
i've had newman for week now and decide to amp up my lap time with him. i took him on my lap this afternoon, for checking out and cuddles. the poor old man was literally trembling. :sorry: i tuck him up under my sweatshirt, which helped him feel a little ore secure i think, but this poor guy is soooooo scared!! i feel so bad for him. any suggestions on how to help him feel more secure? he's eating and drinking fine, and appear otherwise healthy. i think he's just been re-homed too many times in too short a time. he was given up by a family that lost interest, brought to one foster home, a week later sent to another foster home, and the following week home with me. poor guy!! :weepy: what have you all found helpful with pigs that were especially nervous and jittery?

Poor muffin! My newest guy is also still a bit scared of me, though not to the extent of your Newman. He was also passed around a lot, and not given medical treatment when needed.
It really just takes time. I've had Sheldon for over a month now, and he still won't let me reach out to pet him. Sometimes he does, but not very often. He will gladly take food from my hands, and will even come and hop in my lap when he wants to. I like to take things very slow, and let them come around to greet me on their own terms when they are good and ready. I find it helps to have a pig that isn't afraid to show the newbie pig the ropes. Sheldon (neutered) is housed with Penny, and Penny loves attention. It's really helping Sheldon to be less afraid, and understand that I'm not there to hurt him. Is Newman housed with any other pigs?
Also, hand feeding helps a lot.
Good luck! I'm sure he'll come around :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.