Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bathing So need a little advice!

NibblerRosea

Cavy Slave
So I have two babie albino Guinea Pig's (both about 5 weeks now). It looks like they have used the bathroom on each other, they both smell like pee and they both have stain under their chins until about the middle of their body. They have been un-able to clean it themself, and I'm wondering what I should do about it. I have put them in just water and tried to rinse it off, but of course that didn't work. And I don't have the shampoo I need for them, is there an alternative to guinea pig shampoo? Are they even to young to be using any kind of shampoo? If they are, then what do I do about the smell and the stain on them?

They make shampoo for small animals that you can find at most pet stores. Failing that, I've heard kitten shampoo is an acceptible substitute.

Fill your sink or a similar sized bathing apparatus just a couple inches high with warm water. Not cold, but cooler than you would be comfortable showering in. A towel at the bottom for the pig to grip onto helps. Let them sit in the water, and wash them. Avoid getting water in the ears and face area. And make sure they are thoroughly dry before putting them back in the cage; use a blow dryer on the lowest heat.

They are very, very little. Some people use baby shampoo, but personally, considering their ages, I would go with (broken link removed)'s gentlest shampoo made specifically for young guinea pigs. I'm very wary of pet store shampoos, since most pet store products are crap anyways.

Do NOT use human shampoo on any animal. You can use Dawn dish detergent sparingly (only Dawn, not any other) and make sure to rinse well. I think the bath can wait for appropriate shampoo, tho'. Small animal shampoo or bunny shampoo is OK, I don't know about kitten shampoo. I know you want them to be clean, but their safety is more important.

If you're nervous about using a non-small animal shampoo, a plain water bath may still be a big improvement. One of my piggies peed on her cagemate today, so I fully sympathize with you over your stinky pigs.

I wouldn't use any kind of shampoo except one made for small animals. You can get kitten shampoo or Squeaky Clean shampoo for small critters at just about any Walmart or pet store. For now, you can just give them a butt bath in warm water to get the pee smell off.

Don't worry about the green stuff at this point. They'll get better about cleaning themselves, and their cleaning fluid obviously has some sort of de-greening agent in it. Right after eating, my two TSWs (tortoise shell and whites) should be called TSWGs, because they're totally green all down their chins and chests. But they clean it up right away, and better than I can do it by bathing them.

They shouldn't smell too much like pee. They're very clean animals, and usually keep themselves in tip-top shape. If you don't keep the butts trimmed on long-haired pigs, they can smell, but at five weeks, their hair shouldn't be long enough to retain the pee. What kind of bedding are you using?

I am using fleece as bedding, and am going to start potty training them (they always use the same corner so it shouldn't be too hard to get them started using it.... so that will help a bit..) I have tried just water and it gets them kinda clean but they still stink! (And they love taking a bath and getting blow dryed, expecially Nibbler she gets as close as she can to the dryer!) I think the staining part is coming from them eating, I have found that they will get some food and then spit some of it out, kinda like they are getting too much in their mouth... and they soak themself when they drink too... so I don't know how to keep them clean, cause I know they shouldn't get a bath very often...

My guinea pigs smell like pee too! I don't have a shampoo that i use,they just get (infrequent) water baths,I have been very confused in which shampoo to buy :\

I use GG's shampoos. I have Just for Boars and Posh and Go. I use the posh one on my long haired piggie and the just for boars on everyone else. I highly recommend their products.

Thanks for this. Poor Sugar is so huge, she can't clean herself so her bottom and her belly is all yellow with pee. I'll see if I can get any mild small animal shampoo for her.

You can wash pregnant piggies right?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.