Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fur So many problems...

dayi56

Cavy Slave
I got a guinea pig from a pet store, the bad kind of pet store. Yes I know, don't buy from a petstore but I already did it. Well, basically she was abused. I was disgusted in the way they treated her in front of me. They were checking which were males and females (they have them in the same small cage -.-) and when they got her (very roughly) they said " female" and just threw her back in. Threw her. I ended up getting her and cured her (she had mites). This brings me to my first question, she's loosing hair. Is it cause she still has mites? I was petting her one day and i saw that the hair was coming off in small chunks with dead skin at the tip.

[GuineaPigCages.com] So many problems...[GuineaPigCages.com] So many problems...[GuineaPigCages.com] So many problems...[GuineaPigCages.com] So many problems...[GuineaPigCages.com] So many problems...

Aside from that, they told me that she has been breeded before, well after time passed by since we got her (we got her on March 13) and she got bigger and bigger (stomach wise). I thought she was pregnant but she still hasn't gaven birth. I don't feel any babies moving around. I hate to say this but I'm going to be realistic, is it possible that there are dead babies inside of her, I mean she has been through a lot of stress... I hate the thought but I have to know, or if it can be anything else that's giving her this weird figure. It only lets me attach 5 pictures per post, so I'll just comment the other pictures.

I would love to take her to a vet but there's absolutely no money for her now.

[GuineaPigCages.com] So many problems...[GuineaPigCages.com] So many problems...[GuineaPigCages.com] So many problems...[GuineaPigCages.com] So many problems...[GuineaPigCages.com] So many problems...

That's my cute little baby Neptuni :)

I am sure that she is pregnant. It definitely looks like it.

I don't know about her hair falling out, though.

But WHY ON EARTH would you get her if

there's absolutely no money for her now.

You need to make sure you have enough money beforehand. She may be in worse condition than you think, and she needs to see a vet to check up on that hair loss unless you pinpoint the cause and maybe if you need someone to talk to about that pregnancy.

At the time we had money for her, my dad wasn't planning on being a teacher at the time. Now he's a teacher, and teachers don't get paid during the summer... (I'm under 18 so I can't get a job)
I screwed up, I know.

At the time we had money for her, my dad wasn't planning on being a teacher at the time. Now he's a teacher, and teachers don't get paid during the summer... (I'm under 18 so I can't get a job)
I screwed up, I know.

You just need to have the money set aside for emergencies before you get the Pig. I am 13 years old and I set aside at least $100 for an emergency fund. That is my own saved up money.

You see, "At the time we had money for her" is something that makes it seem like animals are disposable. That is why it is so important.

Good luck with her problems though. And next time, no matter how sad you get, don't purchase from a pet store. That just fuels the frenzy. There are plenty of homeless animals that are, often times, in better health and you know more about them, at rescues.

Is it possible that you could take her to the vet and ask if you could pay the bill once you have the money? I know it's a stretch but you really don't want to take any risks as more time passes. Perhaps you could have someone loan you money and you could pay them back?

I don't get why you can't get a job. My cousins have been working since they were 15. So long as you don't work in a hazardous environment and work less than 40 hours a week you can get a job. But I don't live in the States so maybe the laws are different?

Good luck with you're piggy. I hope everything turns out all right.

I can get a job, as I am 14, but it's a long shot that they'll hire me. But I'll definitely try and apply to a few.

You see, "At the time we had money for her" is something that makes it seem like animals are disposable. That is why it is so important.

She is definitely not disposable, I made it sound like she is (sorry) but trust me, she is not.

I wouldn't say she is pregnant, she could have ovarian cysts. Does she have hair loss on her sides? It could be what's making her look pregnant.

When did you treat her for mites? How did you treat her? She may still have them. She could also have fungus, or even just dry skin (which teddies are known for).

I treated her a month after I got her, so around April- May. I treated her the wrong amount of dose the first time (thinking that .5 + .5 = .10 ) but the second time i got it right. I dropped it behind her ear and in an open wound she had. She doesn't have hair loss on her sides but I found the hairs on her lower back.
Thinking about it, she might have dry skin. When I separate the hairs and see her skin it looks kind of dry (compared to my other guinea pig), but maybe it can be because she's a teddy?

Also, are teddie's hairs suppose to be smooth? Hers is rough.

No. Teddies have rough, fuzzy hair. Your girl is a teddy.

How far apart did you treat, and what did you use? Also, it's not a good idea to put it in an open wound. If there are wounds on the pig, it's best to treat orally.

I treated her one day then 8 days later. That's it. I used (broken link removed). I read that you can do it somewhere, or I read it wrong...

By do it I mean to put it on an open wound.

As a general rule you don't want to put anything in an open wound, except for an antibiotic ointment.

The stuff in the link is fine to use. It can only be used topically, however.

I imagine the wounds are healed, right? Do you still have some of the pour-on? It wouldn't hurt to treat her twice again, each a week apart.

Afterwards you may want to try rubbing some extra virgin coconut oil into the dry spots.

Yes, no more wounds :D! I shall treat her twice again. There isn't technically any dry spots, it's just her whole body basically, it can be either normal or not. I don't think it'll be healthy to rub her whole body in extra coconut oil (what if she decides to bathe herself)

Coconut oil is fine for pigs to lick off.

You might want to bathe her in a fungus shampoo like Nizoral, in case it's a fungal condition.

Read the Hair loss page at Guinea Lynx.

Would it be in any way harmful if she didn't have fungal infection?

It looks to me like scabs that have come off with the hair. Just a thought.

It looks to me like scabs that have come off with the hair. Just a thought.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.