Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

So Frustrating!

kp53179

Cavy Slave
I just have to get this off my chest and this website is the only place where people will understand. Have you ever been attached to something so much that you go overboard to make sure they are taken care of well? Well that is what is going on here. I love my guinea pigs and can't help but to make sure I can get them the best I can. They have a fleece 2x4 cage with a 1x2 loft and they have a 5x5 playpen area in the living room. Sounds nice right? Well when I do these nice things, in return I get people who pretty much laugh at the idea of it or who question what I am doing. It frustrates me because I am the one doing the research, why are you telling me I am doing something wrong? For example: Someone was like," Fleece actually makes it smell more than bedding. I don't understand why fleece is better." Well I explained to her that bedding is dusty and both pigs eat it which I don't think is healthy. I explained other reasons as well but I am the one that is wrong. I get crap for making sure they have a nice play area. People say they don't need all that room, they are just animals. Or when I took them to the vet for their checkups before putting them together people were shocked that I spent 38 on each pig. I just don't get where peoples hearts are. I am sorry that I am trying to care for these animals. I just hate that people think I am wrong, or think that I am crazy for caring. How do you guys deal with this if it happens to you? It makes me feel like I am the laughing stock and that I should just give up(which I wont). Sorry for the huge rant, I just had to get it off my chest before I freaked out on one of these people! :)

I just have to get this off my chest and this website is the only place where people will understand. Have you ever been attached to something so much that you go overboard to make sure they are taken care of well? Well that is what is going on here. I love my guinea pigs and can't help but to make sure I can get them the best I can. They have a fleece 2x4 cage with a 1x2 loft and they have a 5x5 playpen area in the living room. Sounds nice right? Well when I do these nice things, in return I get people who pretty much laugh at the idea of it or who question what I am doing. It frustrates me because I am the one doing the research, why are you telling me I am doing something wrong? For example: Someone was like," Fleece actually makes it smell more than bedding. I don't understand why fleece is better." Well I explained to her that bedding is dusty and both pigs eat it which I don't think is healthy. I explained other reasons as well but I am the one that is wrong. I get crap for making sure they have a nice play area. People say they don't need all that room, they are just animals. Or when I took them to the vet for their checkups before putting them together people were shocked that I spent 38 on each pig. I just don't get where peoples hearts are. I am sorry that I am trying to care for these animals. I just hate that people think I am wrong, or think that I am crazy for caring. How do you guys deal with this if it happens to you? It makes me feel like I am the laughing stock and that I should just give up(which I wont). Sorry for the huge rant, I just had to get it off my chest before I freaked out on one of these people! :)

Same here. Then I get into trouble.

It sucks doesn't it! How do you get into trouble?

I know.. Its usually my dad who does it, not on purpose so I feel bad afterward.. Sometimes he's right. But I get mad, so I get into trouble from my mom.

its the curse of being an animal lover, You are caring for gods creatures and for that you will be blessed, You keep on doing right by the animals re regardless of any one who may disagree. People like that don't understand. I get the same thing all the time about my dogs gps whatever. They are wrong and god knows it. I always tell people they are my kids and as you care for yours I will care for mine. Know you are not alone we all get it don't worry.

I hear you! Thankfully, I don't live at home but my Dad likes to make fun of them a lot. He's only kidding but it still gets annoying!

If people call you crazy, just smile and say they're right. Embrace it and remember you know what is best. Imagine that your pigs can talk and what they might say about these nutty folks trying to tell you what to do. :)

You should pity those people. You've obviously put a lot of thought and love into the care of your guinea pigs. Those who think "They're just animals, they don't need that much room" are flawed human beings with a lesser amount of compassion. In this aspect, you're better than they are.

Take pride in knowing you take responsibility for your animals and ensure them the best life you can provide.

Thanks Boofp! You are right, I know I am doing the right thing but it is frustrating! They are like my kids, I have to get up and take care of them and make sure they are taken care of! I know my guinea pigs care is more important than what people say but ahh! Lol

Captaincavymom, you are right as well! They will probably say knock it off, shes doing great! Haha! Thanks guys for understanding! :)

Thank you MissJean! I do take pride in caring for them! I hate when people say they are just animals! They aren't just animals! I think the big reason why I am so anal about them is cause growing up that is the mentality they had when we had pets. They didn't care! I am glad that I care :)

I'm a big fan of Dave Ramsey, the financial guru, he has a saying that applies here. "if people look at you like you are crazy, you are doing something right."

Keep those piggies happy and healthy. Let the nay Sayers say what they like, they don't have happy healthy piggies like you do. ;)

So true! Thanks for that :)

My brothers say snarky things about my pigs all the time. I just either ignore them, scowl at them, or tell them, "Sure. Whatever..." My dad teased me about the pigs right when I got them, but doesn't anymore. When I got the fleece he said, "Wow! Your guinea pigs have a better blanket than me!" I just laughed. lol

Yeah my dad can be horrible lol! Today we had a party for St.Pattys day. He was making comments about cooking them up, I know he is joking and all but ahh! And I saw a bin like thing that I wanted to take home ( They were going to throw it away) My brother nicely carved an entrance in it for the piggies and my family was cracking jokes! It was funny but gets annoying lol. I got drilled today because I have a huge playpen for them. My sister says they have a 2x4 cage with a loft. That is enough room for them to run around. That and you picking them up and loving them is just fine! No, they need to run! I just gave up defending myself.

Yes im sooo in the same boat i love anmails and growing up i was not allowed to have a pet and when i got older i was doing alot of running around now im setaled and new to the guinea pig world i spent over 400 on my two geege and snow flake and my husban fliped out but ill still do it all over againg

I always tell people they are my kids and as you care for yours I will care for mine. Know you are not alone we all get it don't worry.

Yes, these are my children. I spend less on them than you do on your human children. People have let me down so many times, but my animals don't. There are public programs-food stamps, welfare, etc. for people. What is there for animals? I feel animals are innocent, just like children, and because they are basically helpless, and dependent, people feel free to abuse them, or take them for granted. I have started to pull away from people who don't understand my attitude. The more I get involved in rescue, the less I want to be around people who are callous of my opinions and feelings. It's disrespectful to mock something someone else feels is important. Wether they agree with me or not, you can still be respectful of that person. This goes for animals, religion, or any other personal beliefs.

We do all get this, it's just really hard when it's from someone you love. The older generation is especially difficult because they never spent time or money on their animals. But we know better now, and by keeping our pets in a happy, healthy way, we are so enriched ourselves.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.