Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior So comfortable so soon?

LitaRutherford

Cavy Slave
Hello! I'm new but this has really been poking at me so i hope this is the right area.

So I got two 12wk old male piggies on Mon, from a pet store (i know i'm sorry wont happen again) and had figured they'd be a lot skiddish and not totally trusting of this big pinky non-piggu. Instead, after having them home for an hour or so, Porcupine purred when i was peting him in my lap. Again and again and again. Then that night i took each one out seperately for one on one and once again lots of purring and he cuddled up and streatched out before falling asleep on me! Thinking adventerous Odair would never do that i took him out next and he did as well! Plus he purred. Just once and he hasnt done it since, but he did. Then last night i took them out to see if they would cuddle again. Both did even faster then the first night!

Is it normal for new piggies to warm up so fast? Did i just get lucky or am i missing something? They still dont like getting caught but once you have them in your hands its a whole diffrent story! I am more then thriled but was very curious if its normal.

In my experience, it takes them a little longer to warm up but they are fairly young so maybe that helps. Every pig is a little different in personality and I'd say you just got lucky. But from what I've heard of the male pig adolescent period, you may pay for it later.

Just like humans, guinea pigs have different personalities. Some are just more laid back than others.

I think its normal they warmed up to you so quickly (and that your lucky as well!). I say this because my boyfriend works at petsmart and he sees these little guys every day and they feed and take care of them until theyre sold,so theyre already getting used to us humans handling them and perhaps now your piggies feel even mote comfy with you in a new home. :eek:

Just like humans, guinea pigs have different personalities. Some are just more laid back than others.
I totally agree for my boy is so calm and cuddly however my girl is super skiddish and likes her own space.

I'd agree with the personality theory :) I think you got lucky that your pig happened to be very friendly. One of my piggies, Carrot is very nosy and friendly, but Broccoli is still a bit timid.

I'd agree with the personality theory :) I think you got lucky that your pig happened to be very friendly. One of my piggies, Carrot is very nosy and friendly, but Broccoli is still a bit timid.

I love those names!!! (sorry I know it isn't thread related!)

I'm glad i'm not missing some obvious sign. And yeah the people at the store were very attached to them and made me promise to give them updates. Normally animals take time to like me which is why i was so surprised how fast they seemed to like me!

Porcupine sounds like a blend of your two, Caitlinn. He's super skittish when hes on the floor or in his cage but in your arms/lap/chest he is a snugglebunnu.

Now i just have to get them more ok with being picked up! I feel so bad when they hide or squeek all scared like.

I'm going to be getting 2 male guinea pigs too :D they'll be fairly young from a pet store (there aren't any shelters near me, please don't shun me :$ ) and I hope they warm up to me as fast as yours did!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.