Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated So annoyed!

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
I saw an add here to foster 2 boars til their owner gets back from traveling. I checked Google maps, and it was a 2 1/2 hr drive, but I felt badly that this girl was going to lose her pigs, so I offered to foster. NEVER AGAIN! :mad: It took 3 hrs to drive into New York City, then I had to sit around for 45 min til the sub-letters came home. When we finally go into the apartment-there the boys are, no food, no hay, cage all dusty, and there is BLACK STUFF FLOATING IN THEIR WATER BOTTLE!!!! :yuck: EWWWW!!!! :sick: I have NEVER seen black algae outside of a fishtank. I grabbed the cage, and practically ran out of there. The water bottle was removed as soon as they got in the car. as soon as As I'm loading everything into the carATheThe best part? As they were getting loaded into the car, the girl who was "caring" for him, and the 2 sub-letters, asked me what i was going to name them. :eek:hmy: "Um, I thought their names were Bob and Tom?" They said "Oh. Which is which?" Shouldn't the "caretakers" know that?! Halfway home I stopped for gas and threw some hay in the cage. When I carried their store cage into my home, the cage was literally falling apart in my hands-side grids shifting and leaving gaps, it's raining now, and gusting cold wind pretty hard, and 10 feral cats waiting for Mommy inside-OMG! It's now 11pm, and instead of falling into bed, I threw the boys in my empty bunny cage with new bedding, dug up an old water bottle, scrubbed it, gave them fresh, local grown Timothy hay-which they dove onto-filled a spare bowl with Oxbow pellets, and just gave them about 4 pieces of mixed lettuce leaf each. Stupid me, I thought since they were listed here, the owner would be following the guidelines posted here. Guess not! Ugh! After I put them in the "new" cage, I chucked everything they came with back outside. When I picked them up, they felt like they didn't weigh anything. Very skinny. On the plus side, I gave them a quick look over, and penis, anal sac, grease gland all look clean; no fur damage, or dandruff, no excessive scratching, and just 1 sneeze on the way home. I'm following all quarantine guidelines, of course.

SO:
I don't know when they had their last (if ever) fresh salad. Should I just keep feeding a few pieces at a time to slowly acclimate them to it? I don't want them to get diarrhea.

They are black and white, and brown and white. The black and white is obviously submissive to the brown and white one, and obviously weighs less. They seem to be getting along fine, and I don't want to separate them, do you think just feeding with 2 bowls of pellets, 2 hay racks, and 2 water bottles will be OK to get the black and white one up to weight?

Go very slow with the fresh veggies -- you really don't want diarrhea if they're underweight to begin with. Give them mostly hay, and I'd probably feed unlimited pellets until they get back up to a reasonably normal weight. Unless, that is, they're ignoring the hay for the pellets, in which case ration the pellets.

Are you giving them back? I'd have a hard time with that decision.

Ugh, that is disgusting. If you talked to the owners and commented on how well they were doing with you, I wonder if she/he would surrender them to you. It doesn't sound like they care about them too much. Would you be willing to take the pigs and find a better home for them?

Hopefully they'll plump up and be okay. Sending positive vibes!

Are you giving them back? I'd have a hard time with that decision.

I am seriously debating that idea. I'll have some choice words for this girl when I email her. From her previous emails, it sounded like she was frantic, they were in a good home being cared for, but the person had to move and couldn't keep them. That wasn't the situation at all. I'm feeling positive because they seem to be in decent shape, just underweight. I make 2 piles of salad when I feed them, then they each get their share. I watch the poos afterward, and so far so good. I gave them a second helping of lettuce this morning, and still doing fine. I'll go slow with the salad. Thanks. I just get so annoyed with people who don't manage even basic care for their pets. It's really not hard to do, and my pets are so spoiled in comparison!

that just wrong .. can we get an update on what happen to these little guys

I'm so glad they're in your hands now! I honestly don't think I could give them back (I can just imagine a court case ending up on People's Court...they've had similar things there). But if that's how she cares for them, maybe she won't want them back. My fingers are crossed that that's the case. Poor babies. It makes me wonder how many other piggies are living in situations with uncaring and/or uneducated owners.

Will do. As for little, they are actually HUGE. Very long bodied compared to my girls.

That is awful. I would not give them back if that is the care they are getting. Im really glad that they are in your hands and being cared for properly now. Keep us updated! :)

That is TERRIBLE!!! I personally could NEVER give them back!!!!! i would not respond to the girls emails and tell her that she is a VERY bad, underqualified piggy "mother", if you can even call her that. More like tortuer!!!! I got my pigs in a similar situation. The posting made it seem as if they were in a nice, large storebought cage (by petstore standards) and were being sold because the ower was working too much and had to go to school too... But when i got to the place that we were meeting, the pigs were TERRIFIED!!! They were huddling in the corner (no pigloo or cover!!!) of a tiny cage and making the most pitiful sounds. They had NASTY pet store food, and I think that the "bedding" was old food that had spilled from the bowl. I'm not even sure. YUCK! They had obviously NO experience with pigs at all. I, on the other hand, did about 20 hours of internet research on their care, dragged my dad all over creation to get supplies, joined this forum, and even called sign shops for coroplast all by myself- a very nice man gave me some for free after hearing that it was for a GP cage!! (I am 12, BTW) So, at least you are not alone in buying (or in this case, fostering from abusive or ignorant owners)

NarwhalsRock-you rock! I am so happy when people tell me they do their research first. You sound very responsible. I, unfortunatley, read books to prepare, and they were all wrong. I'm always so grateful to have this forum.

I think I'd go the route of educating the current owner if you can't get her to agree (in writing) to let you keep them if that's what you want to do. If your agreement was to "foster" them and you simply keep them without making an arrangement with her, you're completely in the wrong. I'm doubting she'd have much of a problem letting you have them since the original ad was to rehome them completely, but you can't do it without prior (preferably written) permission. If she wants them back, I'd not head out on a campaign to make her feel like crap for the way she's been treating them - that's the quickest way to alienate someone and very likely to get you the exact opposite of the results you want (either to keep the pigs or persuade her to take better care of them).

Also, perhaps the original parent believes they were living in a C&C cage, getting enough to eat and that their water and bedding was being changed each day...? Maybe the first set of foster people are the ones in the wrong? I have no idea, just throwing out that possibility.

The boys are very friendly, and I think she did take care of them, but to just dump them on someone with no experience, and not take proper care in making arangements is terrible. I got a better look at them today after work. See what you think-
[GuineaPigCages.com] So annoyed!
Bumblefoot-very bad
[GuineaPigCages.com] So annoyed!
Bleeding penis

The start of more bumblefoot[GuineaPigCages.com] So annoyed!

I have to try to get some Baytril from a rescue, but if I can't, and all else fails, I might have to surrender them to a rescue. I have to do what is right for the pigs, and I don't want to let them suffer and die. They have infected impactions, crusty grease glands, & their eyes are crusty (just slightly), too. I'm so upset. I'm going to call my vet tomorrow, and see if they can help me. I spent $850 at my vet in March alone, to take care of my bunny's URI, my pig Daphne's foot problem, and my beautiful Golden Retriever went into sudden kidney failure-he was almost 12 yrs old. I had to put him down. Then, my paycheck from my regular job and my second job were short by over $300 total. It's been a bad time lately. I never thought I'd walk into a situatuion like this. I did email the owner, and I'll see what she wants me to do, but, again, the pigs come first.

Oh my god, oh my god. That is revolting. How the heck does that even happen to their penis?

What are you going to do? They look like they need a vet visit...

I'd seriously flip out on that lady. Thankfully you aren't me.

Edit: Good on you for thinking of the pigs first! I'm sorry this was forced on you after you've spent so much money on your own animals =(

Oh my GOSH! Those poor little things! :sad: Thank goodness you were able to step in and help! I can sure understand if you won't be able to keep them, but I know I would NEVER be able to give them back to that person. I would change my email address and never contact her again!

Good luck at the shelter and the vet! Praying for those poor little piggies! Those pics are AWEFUL! I feel so bad for the poor baby!

I think I'd go the route of educating the current owner if you can't get her to agree (in writing) to let you keep them if that's what you want to do. If your agreement was to "foster" them and you simply keep them without making an arrangement with her, you're completely in the wrong. I'm doubting she'd have much of a problem letting you have them since the original ad was to rehome them completely, but you can't do it without prior (preferably written) permission. If she wants them back, I'd not head out on a campaign to make her feel like crap for the way she's been treating them - that's the quickest way to alienate someone and very likely to get you the exact opposite of the results you want (either to keep the pigs or persuade her to take better care of them).

I do agree with you, and I'm not going to just "kidnap" them. I don't want to make her feel like crap, either, but she needs to take responsibility now. I didn't mean to come off sounding like a militant type of person, I was just so upset at the condition they were, and are, in, that I needed to rant a little. I just don't think it's hard to take care of piggies. When I took in my current dog, I did have the owner, my neighbor, sign a surrender form, so I would have this owner do the same thing.

Oh my god, oh my god. That is revolting. How the heck does that even happen to their penis?

No kidding, and you didn't get the smell, either. I had to stop when he started to cry. If you don't clean out boars perineal sacs and clean their penis, the semen dries into a paste and erodes the skin. Like urine scald. I used oil and q tips, and was barely brushing at the filth, and when the dried semen came off, the skin underneath is cracked and oozing blood. I had to stop. I called all the rescue people I know, but most of them do cats, not guinea pigs. I called the pig rescues, too, but no one answered me yet.

I know you are not located near me (VA) but I can give you the name and number of our rescue lady and she would be more than glad to talk to you over the phone. She is the most knowledgeable person about guinea pigs that I have ever met! You are doing a good thing!!

YES, PLEASE! I need a experienced pig person to help me. I've been reading about boars because I wanted to foster, and of course, this is my first set of boars, and my first foster. From what the owner and I had discussed, it sounded like they were fine. Obviously, they haven't been fine for a long time. They are even on Carefresh-all you have to do is dump it, for heavens sake. I could just cry. They are such tender little souls, and now they are terrified of me. :weepy: Even a 12 yr old-NarwhalRocks, did her homework.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.