Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Infection Snowed In w/ Possible Ear Infection

3lilpigs

Cavy Slave
I'm looking for any immediate advice anyone has to offer. I noticed head tilt symptoms in my 3.5 year old female tonight. She is walking alright, no limp and in a straight line. I checked eyes, ears, mouth... Her one ear was a bit gunkier than normal, but no obvious redness or swelling. And oddly, she is tilting her head to the other side. I cleaned her ears and no difference in symptoms. I'm afraid she has an inner ear infection. PROBLEM:We are experiencing major blizzard conditions. All vet clinics are closed until Thursday. I know she needs to be seen ASAP, but my options are limited. I really don't want Chloe to be in pain or have longterm complications. What can be done in the meantime while we wait out the storm?

Thanks!

Last edited:

laylahzoemom

Cavy Slave
Sorry to hear about your problem. We're stuck in PA under inches of ice which isn't much better. My brother lives in Madison, WI but is on business in LA... lucky guy. I don't really know what to do about an ear infection, but I thought I could offer some moral support. Hope your little girl is feeling better soon!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
She really needs antibiotics asap. The longer you wait, the more the chance that the head tilt will be permanent. You can get to the vet tomorrow?

3lilpigs

Cavy Slave
I know this and will plan on taking her in tomorrow. I was wondering if there are any natural remedies for the time being or anything I should be doing. With exception of the head tilt, she doesn't seem to have any other symptoms. I just don't want her to be in pain. All of the local vet clinics are closed and the emergency clinic told me they are having to prioritize. This was a bit upsetting... but I understand there are a lot of serious injuries that could be in greater need. Hopefully everything will be open tomorrow.

Thanks laylahzoemom for the moral support! It sounds like much of the country is experiencing some kind of weather hazard... luckily for you brother he got stuck somewhere a bit warmer!

3lilpigs-albums-snow-picture8022-img-3809.jpg

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Unfortunately there's not much you can do without a vet visit. Since she's eating and drinking normally she's probably not in pain (has she lost any weight?) but you might want to read the Guinea Lynx page on pain management just in case.

Look at all that snow! We've only had maybe an inch all winter so far.

crazy4looney2n

Cavy Slave
I hope you were able to get her to a vet today and that she's ok or will be ok. That picture you posted looks like my backyard! We got snowed in too!

3lilpigs

Cavy Slave
UPDATE: I took her in this afternoon. The vet swabbed her ear and said there was no sign of infection. He noticed that she was sensitive on the one side. They cleaned out her ears. No meds or anything. He doesn't feel its anything to be worried about and the head tilt should go away in 3-4 days. If not, he'll put her on drops. She seem better now. I wonder if she just had some gunk that was pushed down there. I'll watch her closely for changes.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
So her head isn't tilted anymore?

3lilpigs

Cavy Slave
She has been tilting it on and off. I've been looking at her ears everyday and they've looked normal until today. I saw something strange in there. I pulled the biggest chunk of hard wax out of my poor piggie's ear! After I got it out, she was jumping for joy and playing with her toys like none other! I feel a little bit bad for challenging the vet's diagnosis. I clean my pigs ears quite often, avoiding the ear canal. I feel so bad that this happened - I'll continue to keep an eye on it.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
If it were an inner ear infection the vet would not be able to see any signs of infection.

Keep an eye on her--if her head tilt doesn't correct itself totally she could have some infection in there.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.