Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Snickers passing blood

lisa325

Cavy Slave
This morning while mom was doing health checks she found blood in the bowl of the scale after weighing Snickers. We knew Snickers had bladder sludge when she came to us, and have always kept her on a low calcium diet. She's almost 3 years old now and we're hoping it's a UTI rather than bladder stones, but the signs don't look too good with the sludge and all. She is acting perfectly normally, no weight loss, eating up a storm, and showing no signs of discomfort.

She has an appointment with the vet tomorrow afternoon, mom is going to request an X-ray, but has decided that if it does show stones, she isn't going to opt for surgery, because she's heard too many horror stories about bladder stones in general, and also the fact that they tend to recur. She has decided to keep her as comfortable as possible with whatever meds the vet suggests and just hope for the best.

It could even be possible that she did have a stone/s and passed them, I guess that would be the best scenario, but it's all speculation right now. She's such a pretty, and gentle pig, please keep your fingers crossed that it's something that can be fixed with the right meds. Thanks!! :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Is it blood, or pink-tinged urine? If the bleeding came from the bladder, it's likely mixed with urine. Frank blood is more likely to be from the reproductive tract.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
It was definitely blood, not bright red blood, but deeper than pink.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Then I'd assume reproductive tract, and get her to the vet. It may not be, but as I said, usually any blood from the bladder is diluted at least somewhat with urine.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Thanks bpatters :). She hasn't passed any since that we have noticed, and we have been watching. She has an appointment with the vet tomorrow afternoon.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thanks bpatters :). She hasn't passed any since that we have noticed, and we have been watching. She has an appointment with the vet tomorrow afternoon.

We will be waiting to hear whatever news you bring about little Snickers. I'm hoping it's going to be good news.

CupcakeCavy

Cavy Slave
Has Snickers had her appointment yet? Hopefully you guys received some good news.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Snickers has had no further episodes with passing blood since that one time yesterday. She went for her vet appointment today and was thoroughly examined, palpated, teeth checked, heart and lungs. She was a little trooper, so well behaved, and made no sound of discomfort or anguish whilst the vet was prodding her. He then took her for X-rays, which I will enclose, and lo and behold......no bladder stones or even sludge :). The only thing he did note and says he's not too concerned about is she has a little gas in her stomach, and he thinks the blood came from irritation caused by this. He said because she is living in a herd of younger pigs who need more pellets than her, she is getting too many, and this could be a factor in the gas build up. So now he wants to keep her separated, which mom is not too happy about, so mom decided she will just separate them at bedtime, she has made up a Midwest cage for Snickers, and will feed her 1/8 cup of pellets when she puts her in for the night. The other pigs will get their unlimited pellets at the same time in the big cage, but come the morning she will let them all out for playtime, minus the pellets, that way Snickers doesn't get more than she needs.

She has been put on Septra twice a day for 2 weeks ( mom said no to the Baytril after what happened to Luigi ), and Metacam for 5 days, just in case she may have some discomfort. Honestly though, she is acting perfectly fine, while she was waiting for the vet she was getting stuck into a big slice of cucumber, the vet was laughing, he said, "Ok Snickers, I'll wait til you're done eating, take your time". lol. Mom has one of those vibrating pads so she put Snickers on it on her lap earlier while she was grooming her to help to disperse the gas. The vet doesn't want her taking anything else, no gas drops either, he said she's showing absolutely no signs of GI stasis so let her be and just give her the meds.

Here are the X-rays for those of you who are more savvy at reading them:

1 Abdomen LAT 2 Abdomen LAT 3 Abdomen VD

I think the only thing that was hurting today was the vet bill, lol, but we're just happy that she's ok :eek:)

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Very glad to hear that all was found well with Snickers! I can completely understand your hesitation on the Baytril, 100%. I myself will be reluctant to use it in the future, as it had a tremendous impact on Poopy as well.

Best wishes from my herd, to yours and your mom's!