Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sneezing Sneezing piggies due to smoke from Fires???

CavyFamily

Cavy Slave
My two pigs in the last few days have been sneezing. I was wondering....Can they be allergic to smoke?? I live in Colorado Springs, CO and there is a big wildfire going on right now, started Sat. But the winds have been blowing in our direction and its bothering me and my family bad but Sunday the girls started sneezing. Its really really bad smoke and ash. Is there anything I can do for them?

I'm guessing it's possible that the fires could be causing the sneezes... If their eyes aren't watering and there's nothing (mucus/snot) produced from the sneeze, and their breath isn't labored I wouldn't worry TOO much, but I'd definitely keep an eye on them and weigh them daily to be sure they're not loosing any weight.

I'm not sure what you can do for them. I have family and friends in CO so I'm praying for y'all!

Bump so someone can answer your last question :)

I'm guessing it's possible that the fires could be causing the sneezes... If their eyes aren't watering and there's nothing (mucus/snot) produced from the sneeze, and their breath isn't labored I wouldn't worry TOO much, but I'd definitely keep an eye on them and weigh them daily to be sure they're not loosing any weight.

I'm not sure what you can do for them. I have family and friends in CO so I'm praying for y'all!

Bump so someone can answer your last question :)
No watering eyes or snotty noses just sneezing.
Thank You so much for you prayers and input! How do you bump??

In San Diego we have crazy fires a lot!! All of us down here are thinking about you. My office manager is from Colorado Springs and can't believe what she's hearing :(

You're running an air purifier and keeping your windows closed correct? If you have a humidifier, it might be a good idea to run that as well, for the entire family. When our cars were covered with ash and the sun was red from the smoke filled air just a few years back, we kept the pups in as much as we could and they suffered no ill effects from the smoke...I didn't have piggies back then, so I don't have first hand experience with them. Good luck!

In San Diego we have crazy fires a lot!! All of us down here are thinking about you. My office manager is from Colorado Springs and can't believe what she's hearing :(

You're running an air purifier and keeping your windows closed correct? If you have a humidifier, it might be a good idea to run that as well, for the entire family. When our cars were covered with ash and the sun was red from the smoke filled air just a few years back, we kept the pups in as much as we could and they suffered no ill effects from the smoke...I didn't have piggies back then, so I don't have first hand experience with them. Good luck!

No we don't have a air purifier but we do have all our windows shut and locked and just replaced our filter because of all the smoke, even though it was only a week old. But sadly we cannot keep the doors locked as we still need to work and such. Just wanted to make sure my girls are gonna be ok with all this smoke.

Thanks for you wishes.

I'm in Austin where the wildfires were bad last year. So many large fires in all directions that even though our home was on the other side of town from the largest fire we could see smoke rolling by and smell it like it was right next door. My eyes watered and I coughed quite a bit when I was outside but I did not notice any ill effects on the GPs or my dog.

I'm in Austin where the wildfires were bad last year. So many large fires in all directions that even though our home was on the other side of town from the largest fire we could see smoke rolling by and smell it like it was right next door. My eyes watered and I coughed quite a bit when I was outside but I did not notice any ill effects on the GPs or my dog.

Well my girls seem fine other then the sneezing. No weezing sounds, no watery eyes and no snotty noses. They are running around like crazy just concerned about the sneezing.

We are from Texas, but never been near a fire, this is crazy, my eyes and lungs burn. Can only imagine how it must feel on pets.

I would definitely get an air purifier as a precaution. A tabletop one would be fine.

I am running a Holmes Tabletop air purifier solely for smell and it works wonders.

Sorry you are suffering on the Front Range! I'm over here on the Western Slope. I see it everyday on the news and wonder how long it can go on. Right now in GJ the clouds are building so maybe they will make it your way and mother nature will say enough...I've gotten rid of enough bark beetles.

Besides of keeping windows closed and air purifier is not an option. May I suggest humidity?
May damp towels over the cage? Anything to catch the smoke particals.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.