Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Smelly stuff... pig in the kitchen is causing questions!!

schavarry

Cavy Slave
OK so I know air fresheners are a no no/bad idea around guinea pigs. Especially since they have sensitive noses!!

So this got me thinking - what about smells from the kitchen?? I was thinking about it tonight because I'm cooking garlic shrimp and since Lily is in quarantine for having a URI she's stuck in the kitchen. Are the smells in my kitchen safe for guinea pigs (cooking stuff, trash can, etc)?

I typically don't have a guinea pig in my kitchen but for the time being it's about the best place for her to be. I do know there are some people do keep their piggies in/near their kitchen - what are your thoughts on this??

Please help - I don't want to make Lily sicker but I'm kind of at a loss at where else to put her if she doesn't stay in the kitchen, and I don't want to stress her by moving her cage in and out of the kitchen every time I cook.

PS. Does the refrigerator air (when the door is open) count as a draft?

I think it's fine, especially since it's a temporary situation. The fridge being open isn't going to constitute enough of a draft to cause a problem and the odors of cooking, garbage, etc. aren't going to cause a problem. I would be careful of cleaning supplies around her, but in the greater scheme of things I think it'll be fine.

I think it's fine, especially since it's a temporary situation. The fridge being open isn't going to constitute enough of a draft to cause a problem and the odors of cooking, garbage, etc. aren't going to cause a problem. I would be careful of cleaning supplies around her, but in the greater scheme of things I think it'll be fine.

I don't clean with anything more than dawn dish detergent or baking soda... the occasional chlorox wipe when I get egg or raw meat on my counter but I've resolved that my kitchen is going to be a MESS until the piggy goes back to her normal cage and haven't cleaned much around her, don't think I've even had my chlorox wipes out since she got here! Thanks for the input - that puts my mind at ease!! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.