Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bathing Smelly Rescue Pig

jm_1234

Cavy Slave
My new little piggie Pillow smells REALLY BAD :yuck:! Like I'm not talking a little bad, reeeeaaaaalllyyyy bad! I have already bathed her but she still smells the same. I have also given her hair a cut and it hasn't helped either. I just got her from the SPCA on Wednesday and they had wood pellets for bedding so I don't know if that is the problem. When I hold her I have to go change my clothes after into a whole new outfit because the smell gets onto my clothes and then I stink. I have been changing the fleece daily it the 2X6 cage I have her in with Mickey. Does anyone have any ideas I can do to help with the smell?

4 out of the 5 of my animals I have adopted from the SPCA have smelled awful. When I got my dog from there 10 years ago we had to drive home in the middle of winter with the windows rolled down because she smelled so bad lol. But a bath usually helps and it hasn't this time. Any ideas welcome! I will try EVERYTHING :D (As long as its safe, I will take a smelly pig over a sick pig)

Should I try another bath? I just gave her one on Thursday and I'm not to sure if that would be bad for her.

Just try a bath 1 more time, and if it doesn't work, I would just wait it out. I don't know what else it could be. Check her bum to make sure there isn't any poo stuck on or pee and the like.

Where does she like to lay the most?

Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe I will try another bath and scrub her extra long. She like to lie in the hidey house or igloo but its clean. I spot clean multiple times a day and I have been changing the fleece daily and scrubbing the cage down with vinegar/water. I don't really know how to describe the smell either. Its kind of like urine mixed with something else. He bum is really stained though so it might just be her hair. I hope its not her natural smell though lol!

When I adopted a longhaired pig from someone who didn't want her anymore, she smelt awful. She'd been peeing on herself and sleeping in dirty bedding. The smell was in her hair. I gave her a bath and clipped off as much of her hair as I could, and the smell improved, but didn't go away. In the end I just had to wait and give somewhat regular baths.

A very strong urine smell can be a sign of a urinary tract infection. It may be a good idea to make a vet visit.

Thanks everyone :) I am going to shave the hair around her bum today and cut the rest even shorter today and give her another bath to see if that helps. I think you might be right @Haymonster i think it might be her hair. It smells like if a blanket had been peed on then folded up and put in a wet basement for a few months mixed with something else. Her bum is very stained and has a film on it.
@foggycreekcavy-thank you, I am going to try one more bath and see if it helps but if it doesn't get better I will take her in. I have not seen any blood in her urine at all and she seems to be in no pain when urinating but thank you very much for that suggestion because I wouldn't have thought about that at all :)

We took Pillow to the vet yesterday because she still smells. Not as strong as before but I was worried maybe is was a UTI even though she has no other symptoms. She has a bit of urine scald on her as well. I was hoping it would clear up since I have trimmed the hair right down and she is in a much cleaner enviroment now but took her just in case.

The vet said he doesn't think she has a UTI but just that she was in a really dirty place before. He shaved her bum and gave me Hibitane Ointment to scrub her with and then rinse off once a day for a week. I just want to double check since he does not specialize in pigs that this in fact safe to use on her. I tried google but couldn't find much. He is a very good vet and I do trust him just verifying it since I am such a worry piggie mum.

I have to give her the first bath with this stuff soon so does anyone know if its safe?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.