Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Allergies Smell-- What Air Purifier?

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
I was recently told not to use adjustable gel air fresheners for the Piggies, so I removed them. I was told instead to use an air purifier.

1: Because I had the air freshener in the girls' room for only about a week, could they be harmed at all? What should I look out for?

2: What air purifier is CHEAP and WORKS GOOD that I could use?

3: Do air purifiers really get rid of smell in Guinea Pig rooms, or are they really serving another purpose?

4: Should I use an air freshener AT ALL in the girls' room, like only by the garbage can? Or should I just keep them in the bathroom and other rooms of the home away from the Piggies?

__

Thanks everyone!

My first comment is "don't believe everything you read/hear/are told". Always consider the source of information and do your own research. People tend to repeat things that others say without questioning the validity of them.

With that being said, I'm happy to give you my opinion on an air purifier. They absolutely DO make a difference in the absence of smell in a room where cavies are housed, especially if the room is small. I have an air purifier sitting alongside my cage that runs 24/7 except in the summer when I can open the window and run a small fan to bring in fresh air. I've tried days with and without the unit running and I can definitely discern the difference.

Buy what you can afford, but I believe that this is an instance where you get what you pay for. I bought a Homedics unit at BBB, and it has run virtually 24/7 for well over a year without a hitch. The Homedics is not cheap, but I bought ours at BBB with a 20% off coupon.

I HAVE heard a lot of people saying not to use them upon doing some more research, with links to back it up.

My dad really thinks anything $30 and up is expensive. We went to our local department store to look for a purifier, and we found some, but they were $50 and above....... I don't think he will find a better deal :cheerful:. Could be my teen know-it-all brain, but I don't think so.

Thanks for your help!

Also, he believes it will eat up electricity. Is this true?

You can find many air purifiers that are energy efficient just read the packaging to find out if they are

You can find many air purifiers that are energy efficient just read the packaging to find out if they are

I kinda figured, he said most likely the newer one we get the less electricity (or more) it will take up.

I would like one with a permanent filter.

Would a smaller tabletop one work for a small room that the girls are in? Also, does anyone know if HoneyWell is a good brand? I was researching and that is the cheapest brand that I have found, and my dad knows that WalMart stocks HoneyWell products.

A table top would work well especially next to the cage. Most of the newer ones are energy efficent but some arent. I have never used honeywell. I use hamilton beach at the moment. But my parents are looking at getting me this: Hunter Fan HEPAtech Air Purifier at PETCO only 57.00 great reviews

A table top would work well especially next to the cage. Most of the newer ones are energy efficent but some arent. I have never used honeywell. I use hamilton beach at the moment. But my parents are looking at getting me this: Hunter Fan HEPAtech Air Purifier at PETCO only 57.00 great reviews

Thanks!

That might be the one. I am going to ask him about it. Looks great. Also, I have a small spot next to the cage that I use for storage. It is a small box I made with grids-- Can I set the purifier in there, or should I remove the grids first?

I think you would have no problem putting it there. If the purifier weighs to much just take off the grids. It should work either way :)

I think you would have no problem putting it there. If the purifier weighs to much just take off the grids. It should work either way :)

Thanks again for all of your help!

But.......

........The link you provided is too expensive for my dad. "We aren't going to spend $60 for a Guinea Pig air freshener!"

:grumpy:

I had a honeywell for over 10 years... ran 24/7 and it was great. The HEPA filters need to be replaced after 3 years of use (and that's when you find out that most of the cost is the filter. Also there's a "pre filter" that should be replaced every 3 months but it's WAY cheaper.

it worked great for smells and dust

While I loved the airfilter, once it died, I have yet to replace it (up I'm looking at my 20% of BBB and thinking...)

as ofr energy use - basically they're fans.

stay clear of ionic filters - they're the ones that might be problematic. but HEPA filters just physically remove particles from the air - they don't do anything odd to the air like "charge" it

Haha!

Oh my gosh, I found one of our old Holmes air purifiers that we used to run in my room when I was sleeping at night with bad allergies.

We rinsed off the filters and are letting it sit on a towel right now to dry overnight. Will rev it up in the morning and see how it works.

My dad still thinks that this will use way too much electricity. He says I should only run it every day or every other day for 15 minutes when I am in the girl's room....... Will that help at all?

Great I hope it works well :)

I didn't notice a difference in my electric bills with or without running mine 24/7.

My dad still won't listen. We got the purifier after a day of research, now he thinks that I only need to run it for 15 minutes a day and we will be good. Well, that was a waste. Better to not use it at all then.

;(

You will need to run way more than 15 minutes if you want a difference. I run mine 24/7 and it helps. I had it unplugged for a week, and I just plugged it back in and I can already notice a difference. Also no big difference on our energy bill from it

Thanks guys. I really don't think my dad is going to buy the whole deal though.

I just can't believe we found the perfect one that we ALREADY had, so we didn't spend any additional money on the unit, and he won't even let me use it for more than when I am in with the girls......

Thanks guys. I really don't think my dad is going to buy the whole deal though.

I just can't believe we found the perfect one that we ALREADY had, so we didn't spend any additional money on the unit, and he won't even let me use it for more than when I am in with the girls......

What if you offer to pay the difference in electric if you run it 24/7? Your dad should appreciate the lack of smell in their room...?

As for the trash can smell - I suggest using baking soda if you need something to tame the smell. My trash doesn't smell that bad, it's their urine on the fleece that stinks! I clean out the poos and then dump the hay on top so that covers most of the icky smell...

Hope this helps! Good luck with your dad!

Well, my dad decided to let me run it for the majority of the day as "a test" to see how well it works. So I am hoping just to let it ease it's way into permanent use, without him noticing. (lol)

Well, my dad decided to let me run it for the majority of the day as "a test" to see how well it works. So I am hoping just to let it ease it's way into permanent use, without him noticing. (lol)

Good luck! I hope it works!! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.