Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Smell and behaviour

kirt15

Cavy Slave
Hey guys just a few questions i hope u guys can help.

I have two little boys Jellybean and Rodney.
Jellybean seems to smell a lot even after I gave him a bath he still seemed to smell a bit, it kinda smells like pee. Is there anything wrong with him or is there something I can do about the smell?
I have had them both for about 8 months now and they are an absolute nightmare to catch and pick up and I know guinea pigs are generally skiddish but they seem to spend all their time under their house and jellybean especially runs at the slightest noise or even when you just walk past their cage. I try to put things in their cage but they generally ignore it. Do guinea pigs get bored? I try giving them floor time but they still generally stay under a house or they come over to me and over to the gate I have to let them back inside and they aren't happy until they're back in there cage. Jellybean is ok once u pick him up and lets you pat him but rodney is ok only for a little while before he starts making noises, which kinda sounds like whinging. Should I just leave them alone or is there anything I can do to make them more comfortable and less scared when they are around me?

Any help would be great thanks
Kirsten

The odor you are talking about might be referring to their grease glands, which is completely normal for any boar. Learn about cleaning them here; https://www.guinealynx.info/grooming.html#grease_gland
Honestly, the key to a guinea pig's heart is food, lol. You can hand feed them little bits of veggies and that will slowly gain their trust. If its absolutely necessary you can always replace the house in their cage with a little cozy cup or fleece scraps and that will force them to get use to people walking around and moving about.
Good luck! xx.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.