Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Small Pet Select

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Just ordered 50lbs of 3rd cut Timothy, used the *Betterhay* code to get $35.99 off the $89.99 order and has free shipping on all orders over $40.00!

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
What's the difference between 2nd n 3rd cut hay? I ordered 10 lbs from KMS and they love it and I have enough trouble trying to store that much, I can't imagine storing 50 lbs. what do you put it in?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Second cut hay is the second cutting of hay in a field in a particular year, and third cut, which doesn't always happen, is the third cutting.

First cut is the stiffest with the largest number of seed heads (they have a lot of calcium, and should not be fed to pigs with sludge/stone problems). Second is softer with fewer seeds, and third is the softest of all.

I feed my pigs second cut, as it has more silica but is much softer than first cut.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
The box of hay will go under the cage. It is why I leave a 2x area open when I have a 2 grid high stand. If it is only one grid high, I have placed the box under a table and in the corner, behind the cage. I also punch holes all around the box. bpatters, is second cut more important do you think?
100 0943 100 0831

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The last third cut I got was SO soft I was afraid it wouldn't keep their teeth ground down. And mine like second cut just fine, so I decided to stick with that.

I had earlier gotten third cut that wasn't that soft, but didn't want to buy another large box of too-soft hay.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
The last third cut I got was SO soft I was afraid it wouldn't keep their teeth ground down. And mine like second cut just fine, so I decided to stick with that.

I had earlier gotten third cut that wasn't that soft, but didn't want to buy another large box of too-soft hay.

I may have to see how the do with some second cut. I thought they all did the same for teeth, the different cuts had different fiber amounts.