Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Small, dry poops

VBaamonde

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig scamp has been having smaller than usual poops that are basically two toned- a mix of light and dark brown. The light parts seem pretty dry. Nothing about her diet has changed and she still eats everything I feed her (green leaf lettuce, half a grape, small cucumber slice and cherry tomato and 1/8 cup kms pellets) right away. She seems to be acting totally normal. She's never been much of a big drinker, but I'm wondering if this could be dehydration? She eats a ton of Timothy hay too which she always has access to. Suggestions about weird poops?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, it could be dehydration.

Try syringing her some water -- you can get free needleless syringes from most pharmacies if you tell them you need it for a pet. You can flavor the water with a little fruit juice if that makes it more palatable to the pig. If the poops clear up, you've found the problem.

You can also try feeding the lettuce much wetter, and possible more of it, spread out throughout the day. You could also add a chunk of tomato to her diet, as that's a very wet veggie.

If I were you, I'd discontinue the grape. Over time, grapes can cause serious problems in cats, and they haven't been studied in guinea pigs. To me, it's just not worth the risk when you can give them another, certainly safer, fruit, like blueberries or apples.

VBaamonde

Cavy Slave
I stopped the grape today and switched it to some apple. I'll try giving her more water tonight, hopefully it helps! Thanks!

VBaamonde

Cavy Slave
So Scamp's poops have returned to normal! However she is squeaking when peeing and pooping. I took her to the vet today and had xrays done and there are no signs of stones. She's had these symptoms before and has been tested negative for stones or UTIs. I've been doing a lot of research and I have a feeling its interstitial cystitis. Does anybody have any experience with this?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.