Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Slate Habitat in C&C Cage. How It went

Candi Brown

Cavy Slave
Well I posted my sorta finished(because im always tweekin it) Cage with the slate cave habitat inside. So far the Cavies Love their cage and love climbing in and out of it. I used a tri piece of PVC pipe as a base and built around it. they also like to climb on top of it using the stone ramps. I really like it. We will see how much i like it when i end up having to clean it.(We will see how Well they are litter trained LOL) Plus i built the cabinet for the cage on top. Any way enjoy the pics. [GuineaPigCages.com] Slate Habitat in C&C Cage. How It went[GuineaPigCages.com] Slate Habitat in C&C Cage. How It went[GuineaPigCages.com] Slate Habitat in C&C Cage. How It went[GuineaPigCages.com] Slate Habitat in C&C Cage. How It went[GuineaPigCages.com] Slate Habitat in C&C Cage. How It went

Beautiful!

I like the rocks, just make sure they can't cut themselves on ay sharp edges. So when can you come over and build me a cabinel? LOL

How do you make sure the rocks do not shift and fall on a piggy, crushing them to death?

How do you make sure the rocks do not shift and fall on a piggy, crushing them to death?
The only two rocks off the ground are on the pvc pipe. then the rocks on the ground are way to heavy too move and are only hiding the pipe. absolutly no rocks move. If you do this make sure the rocks don't move like you would in an aquarium with fish. There is no possible way for collapse. i could stand on it. did a practice run outside of cage.

Oh, I see! I assumed you had it figured out so it was safe but you can't really tell that without asking. I bet it's going to be so perfect in the summer when it gets hot! :)

Beautiful!

I like the rocks, just make sure they can't cut themselves on ay sharp edges. So when can you come over and build me a cabinel? LOL
Nope rocks arent sharp they are all from the appalachians in Pennsylvania. they are all very soft and weathered rocks... I was very careful when choosing rocks i picked without edges and i also rubbed down the edges on other rocks. Nope i cant come over but it is easy to build I can give you the plan. :D

Last edited:
That cage is absolutely amazing. I'm totally jealous. :)

I would also love the plan!

To those of you who want to know about our cage, I live in Michigan. We have what used to be a "playroom" for my daughter. We have turned this into a pet/art/toy storage room. It is attached to my bedroom, so it gets a lot of traffic. We had 2 Cavies when we first got married, and had them in a petstore cage. There was a lot we didnt really know about them for cage size and such. (of course they got the care they needed and were out of the cage all the time.) We had a lot of issues with bedding and keeping it clean and had LOTS and I mean LOTS of fruit flys. (this was not cause the cage wasnt clean, but because of poor choice in bedding- wrong information from petstore). When our 5 year old told Santa that is what she wanted for Christmas, we started to do a LOT of reasearch. That is when we found this site. We were able to build a small C&C cage, and just the 2 days of having them home in regular cage to switching them to a 2x4 cage, we saw a huge difference in the baby piggy brothers attitudes and characters. Could have thought they were not the same piggys. The bottom of the cage is now a 3x5. The ones we had before, while super friendly, were never this excited. the first ones we gave up due to health reasons. (baby crawling around dirty cage.) Now I have made these baby piggies my hobby. My wife's hobby is the fish tanks, so my hobby is the cavies. I am constantly coming up with new inovating ideas on how to make their life as extravagant as it could be. I drive semi truck across country and when I seen these rocks, I had to stop. I want the cage to be easy to clean and as big as it can be. And I also want it to be natural for them. The brothers get along very well, and they popcorn on a daily basis. They are very adventurous. Every change we make, they love.

As far as the cage cabinet goes, my wife wanted something that was off the floor and could use the space underneath for storage and something the dogs cant get into.

If anyone wants the floor plans, please let me know. Also, If wanted to, I could make up kits and send them to you, where you just have to assemble. If anyone is interested in this, let me know also. And we can paint it any color also. We chose white to match the room. If you are intereseted in this, let me know and I can figure out a price for you. We can do the cabinet, or cage included.

I hope this information helps in any way that you need. For now, happy cavy loving!

Its awesome, I do love the cabinet

To those of you who want to know about our cage, I live in Michigan. We have what used to be a "playroom" for my daughter. We have turned this into a pet/art/toy storage room. It is attached to my bedroom, so it gets a lot of traffic. We had 2 Cavies when we first got married, and had them in a petstore cage. There was a lot we didnt really know about them for cage size and such. (of course they got the care they needed and were out of the cage all the time.) We had a lot of issues with bedding and keeping it clean and had LOTS and I mean LOTS of fruit flys. (this was not cause the cage wasnt clean, but because of poor choice in bedding- wrong information from petstore). When our 5 year old told Santa that is what she wanted for Christmas, we started to do a LOT of reasearch. That is when we found this site. We were able to build a small C&C cage, and just the 2 days of having them home in regular cage to switching them to a 2x4 cage, we saw a huge difference in the baby piggy brothers attitudes and characters. Could have thought they were not the same piggys. The bottom of the cage is now a 3x5. The ones we had before, while super friendly, were never this excited. the first ones we gave up due to health reasons. (baby crawling around dirty cage.) Now I have made these baby piggies my hobby. My wife's hobby is the fish tanks, so my hobby is the cavies. I am constantly coming up with new inovating ideas on how to make their life as extravagant as it could be. I drive semi truck across country and when I seen these rocks, I had to stop. I want the cage to be easy to clean and as big as it can be. And I also want it to be natural for them. The brothers get along very well, and they popcorn on a daily basis. They are very adventurous. Every change we make, they love.

As far as the cage cabinet goes, my wife wanted something that was off the floor and could use the space underneath for storage and something the dogs cant get into.

If anyone wants the floor plans, please let me know. Also, If wanted to, I could make up kits and send them to you, where you just have to assemble. If anyone is interested in this, let me know also. And we can paint it any color also. We chose white to match the room. If you are intereseted in this, let me know and I can figure out a price for you. We can do the cabinet, or cage included.

I hope this information helps in any way that you need. For now, happy cavy loving!

I would totally buy one! (if money permitted at the time :)) I would love the plans

Holy cow. I love that little cave. You should give it to me. lol

wow thats a great idea! its perfect bc u have a bearded dragon and several fish tanks so i have a whole bunch of sand stones.

I grew up in Slatington, NE PA (Slate quarries everywhere) and have never seen slate like that. It's so cool. I would love the plans. I think I can see what you did, but it was an ingenius idea! I looked at your other pics, and they are amazing as well. I have a custom 3 by 6 ft cage I built with shelving because I have big cats, & I wanted something sturdy, so a kit wouldn't work for me right now. Definitely when I start to foster, tho'. Thanks, your offer is very generous!

I like the look of the rocks. I used cobblestones to hold down my fleece. The only drawback is that poop sticks to it like glue. I had to regularly soak the rocks to clean them off.

Well... I am finding out my piggies aren't as litter trained as I thought... But they do love their cave... I picked the rocks up in Taylor PA.

Oh no, why did I have to see this... I'm a geology major, now you know I have to go find some rocks and build something awesome for my pigs xD

It looks so nice, and I bet they love it :D

This is beautiful! I love this, your whole cage is beautiful. I adore that cabinet but it wouldn't fit in my room because I'm building a 3x4 cage. It's seriously unreal how cute this cage is! Can I see the floor plan anyway? I might knock down one of my walls or something I just love this so much xD

@Honour... Our cage is a 3x5... Panels are from bed bath and beyond and are 14 inches square... We dont have the connectors on it- just use zip ties to hold it all together. So it is a little smaller. My wife wants to have a part of the cage go over the dog age, and have indoor live grass area. This is going to take some planning but I think it can be done- hoping for a natural grazing area for them that they can use anytime they want to... Time will tell on that one....

Oops... That should have said over the dog cage, not age... Silly typo!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.