Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

skiterish

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
Yesterday I took Dagwell and Atticus to the vet and they got ivermectin shots.(finally!) While I was cleaning there cage(it took a long time cause it kinda collapsed ) I gave them floor time no big deal it was only for like 2 hours and I would check on them evey 30 minutes (part of why it took so long). But now when I go to pick Dagwell up he runs like the dickens. He goes and hides under the ramp or next to his cuddle puppy while Atticus seems to be more and more calm. Im kinda worried about Dagwell's new found skitterish-ness. He's fine when I get him on my lap but when i got to get him he's totally scared. What wrong with him, does it have something to do with the vet?

DigitalVixen

Cavy Slave
Here's a question - did he just start acting like this during floor time or has he been pretty calm? Maybe for some reason the whole shot ordeal kinda has him a little jittery that when you pick him up - you're going to take him to have it done again or something. My guinea pig is always really cuddly with me but when I put him on the floor he runs around like it's the Cavy 500! When I got to pick him up he tries to dart into every corner he can - but once I've got him in my arms again he's just as happy as ever. Remember - we're really big creatures coming after their tiny little bodies! Try actually sitting on the floor or crawling slowly up to him so you're not so big in his eyes. Just some suggestions :)

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
Hes been calm and it was after the floor time (laptime) when he got all jittery and such.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
im really worried he seems really tired and when you carry him he nips, hes bein mean-ish and i dont know why!

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
Now he feels kinda warm, is it possible for them to be allergic to ivermectin?

He sleeping and laying down all the time he moves to get water and food then goes to hide. It's really scary. I dont want him to be sick is this normal maybe im just bein paranoid.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
One of my sows was like that. She used to just play chase with me and then stop to be picked up but she runs like heck from me now without stopping when its time to come out of her cage. She didn't get that way until after she was introduced to CoCo.

CoCo always runs away when I go to pick her up and I think Chatty learned it from her.

But your dagwell might be a little sore from the shot and might not want to be handled much right now. Or he is learning this from Atticus. Does Atticus run like the dickens from you too?

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
He kinda does but Atticus is the little one hes starting to like being picked up sometimes.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I would just watch him for a few days and see, like I said it could be possible he is sore from the shot and doesn't want to be handled. Did the vet check him over good other than just giving him the shot?

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
kinda, he seems happy when he's not in the cage but he's miserable in it. i cant just keep him out all the time tho

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
How big is his cage?

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
a 2X5 with a 2x1 loft

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.