Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Skinny Piggies!!:D<3

Status
Not open for further replies.

JessicaSayzRawr

Cavy Slave
So if you haven't seen my post from yesterday. I found one and she is going to tell me the gender. I am getting him its a boy. He is adorable! He is going to be 120. Does that sound alright. He isn't from a shelter. He is only 30 mins from me. But I am still in search of a girl of any kind. I wish I could drive then I would be able to get one but my mum hates driving long distances.D: I want something with short hair. Because I have enough super hairy piggies.:p What kind do you reccomend? that the hair stays short.

Also do you think it would be wrong to put a sweater on him. Like to keep him warm when we are out of my room. (My room is the warmest and he will be in there)
[GuineaPigCages.com] Skinny Piggies!!:D<3
This is the one I may be getting isn't he adorable!!:d<3

I would not buy from a breeder when there are hundreds of homeless guinea pigs needing a good home. Skinnies do show up at rescues and shelters. It just takes time and patience.

I know. I didn't want to buy from a breeder but I want to get my piggies cage mates and I can't have any more than 4 piggies.D: and I have called many shelters and looked at all shelters and on craigslist but I haven't found any so i am going to get it if its a boy. Because thats the only way she will rehome it.

Also anyone know where to get cheap cuddle sacks that would be big enough for two piggies if they decide to go in it together.

I know. I didn't want to buy from a breeder but I want to get my piggies cage mates and I can't have any more than 4 piggies.D: and I have called many shelters and looked at all shelters and on craigslist but I haven't found any so i am going to get it if its a boy. Because thats the only way she will rehome it.

What's the hurry? I waited about a year and a half to find a teddy after mine died. I looked at craiglist ads, Petfinder, rescues, shelters and found an ad on craigslist from a woman who didn't have time for her. If you buy from a breeder, they'll just keep breeding more, adding to the guinea pig population. $120 is outrageous and tells me this breeder is in it for the money. Only selling the males must mean she keeps breeding the females.

Well no matter what shes going to keep breeding. Yes but I have two piggies who don't do much and I think its because they are lonely they know they are both there because they play together sometimes during floor time. while I watch because the boy tries to get her everytime so I have to watch.D:

And if I take it or not she is going to sell the male if it is a male and keep breeding it because she told me she has a list of people who want it if it is a boy but she gave me first dibs if it is a boy.

And if I take it or not she is going to sell the male if it is a male and keep breeding it because she told me she has a list of people who want it if it is a boy but she gave me first dibs if it is a boy.

A lot of people smoke cigarettes and cigarette companies are going to continue to produce them whether or not you buy a pack or not. Does this make smoking cigarettes okay? No.
So just because other people are going to buy her pigs do not mean you need to contribute to a negative market.
Please reconsider and adopt!

I have contacted all the shelters that arent over 87626 thousand miles from me. Which only leaves two. and none of them have ever had any skinny pigs in the shelters. I dunno I think its wrong to buy from a breeder but I am getting him if its a boy because my area isn't very common for them. I have looked before two when I first got my guinea pigs which was almost 9 or so months ago...D: They still haven't had any... So.

I've had an add up looking for a skinny pig on Craig's list for months now. I have been contacted by many breeders. Most want between 60 and 100 dollars for skinny pigs. As much as I want one I can't justify spending that much for just a piggy. I'm still waiting for one needing a home but I'm not in a rush.

Well See i can spend that much money I know I could wait and possibly find one but I don't want to risk missing out on a perfectly healthy pig. So I am getting. The person also told me that if this one is a girl she will give me first pick of the next litter she has.

I think you are just being impatient, who says the next skinny pig that will be up for adoption won't be healthy? It really is best to wait, no matter how much you want a skinny pig. I am still going to wait on Peruvian even if it takes years, because adopting is SO MUCH better for so MANY reasons.

I see it as it doesn't matter how MUCH money you can spend its just a matter of doing the right thing.

~~~
Also as far as sweaters goes, I wouldn't put a sweater on them and leave them alone.
1. I think tunnels, and bags are much more of a better alternative.
2. Let's say if they had an itch, well I DEFINITELY do not want his nail or foot to get caught in the fabric; he break it or hurt himself and be in misery.

Well the sweater would only be for when I am holding him or letting him play in my living room it gets chilly in there. I probably wont get him one any ways.

How do you know it's a perfectly healthy pig? You don't. Do you know that there are breeders out there who breed skinnies that don't turn out just right and shave off the excess fur so the person buying them won't know? I've never seen a skinny female for adoption at a rescue or shelter in the Chicago area but I have seen plenty of males. I've seen them listed on Petfinder at a rescue in eastern MI and I even saw a free male on Craigslist here. That person had three free guinea pigs. I contacted them and there was a long haired female, short haired female and a skinny male. I was looking for a teddy but would have considered the skinny had it been female. I decided to wait for a teddy. Quite a few teddies came up where they were asking a lot or were obviously breeders. I got mine as an owner give up and she was well worth the wait. My point is, they are out there.....There's different care for skinnies so you need to know how to properly care for it as far as diet and it's skin. And if you're saying that money is no object, I feel sorry for you. Patience is a virtue. Really wanting something and not jumping into it but waiting makes getting it that much better.

See even if I get it I still have to wait. Why should my piggies be lonely while I search. Its not fair to them. I wish they were the same gender because I wouldn't search any more I would keep them together and be done with it but I can't stand seeing them sad and lonely.D:

See even if I get it I still have to wait. Why should my piggies be lonely while I search. Its not fair to them. I wish they were the same gender because I wouldn't search any more I would keep them together and be done with it but I can't stand seeing them sad and lonely.D:

Your pigs who are so "poor" to have to be kept waiting have homes with an owner who takes care of them, and all of the unsaved skinnies out there do not! You would rather get a piggy right now even though that means other piggies will remain in shelters. You are being selfish because you want the gratification of having a piggy now. We have all given you examples of why thats a bad idea and examples of personal situations where a piggy has had to stay a single pig until the right one was found. Some people have waited years. Please be mature about this and reconsider buying from a breeder.

A friend for your current pigs does not have to be a skinny. I'm sure there are piggies in rescues right now that aren't skinnies that need homes, but you're going to overlook them, for what? Because you want a skinny? You're "tired of having so many hairy piggies"?

Please be mature. Please, for the piggies!

Your logic isn't rational. If the reason that you need another guinea pig is because your male and female are lonely, you could have adopted any of the males or females you've seen on Petfinder or craigslist. I have never been able to understand the need for instant gratification. If you get everything you want whenever you want it and money is never an object, what do you ever have to look forward to?

Sorry but for me to provide for these pigs as much as I do makes me very happy. I'm not going to explain my whole life to you because I don't have to. I am sorry that I have wanted a skinny pig for a while and the thought that my mum is going to buy me one makes me extremely happy. Since my mum wants nothing to do with me and wants me to move out already. So how about you stop trying to make me feel crappy! I'm still going to get a piggie from a shelter or craigslist and when I can I am going to expand my piggie cages and rescue more so don't sit at your computer as think you understand or know what I have to look forward to because it's usually not alot.

No one expects you to explain your whole life but keep in mind, money and material things can't buy happiness. If caring for something gives you joy, it shouldn't matter what breed that animal is. You should consider fostering and seeing exactly what's out there and you might realize that the breed really isn't what's giving you joy, it's probably the nurturing and bonding with another creature that's fulfilling. I'm sorry that your home life isn't what you'd like it to be but I don't think that getting a skinny will fix that.

Skinny pigs don't really even exist where i am from (ofc they exist but you know what i mean!). They are only ever sold by professional breeders and can go for up to £200 each. To me, that is a huge waste of money that i could use on much better things. But if it is your money then you can and will do what you like. I was a masssssive fan of skinnies, but could never deal with the stress of buying them myself and looking after them. Plus my poor husband that puts up with my weird crazyness and guinea pigs everywhere already would have a fit!! I would rather adopt a beautiful fluffy fuzzball or 2 (or 3..) than an overpriced naked piggy!! There will be plenty of hardcore skinny 'collectors' to take them in. But it is nothing to do with our opinion, it is completely your life and your decision. I think we all need to remember that!!

Status
Not open for further replies.