Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Skinny pig

JessicaSayzRawr

Cavy Slave
I was looking into getting a skinny pig. Any one know if they are any harder to take care of than a regular guinea pig. or is the care just the same well except with out the hair.:p like they eat all the same stuff, etc.?

It will probably be difficult for you to find a skinny pig to adopt, since most rescues make them permanent residents.

I'm trying to recall all the reasons from memory, so someone please correct me if I miss something. A skinny pig does require different care information. They have to be kept warm, due to the lack of hair. They have a weaker immune system, because they were originally used as test animals. And they have to be fed more because they have a higher metabolism.

Well My guinea pigs now have a constant supply of food so feeding wouldn't be a problem. I don't know where to get one. I looked for breeders but I can't find any. I wish some one in the PA area knew where I could get one.

I went to the Reading Pet Expo last weekend, and the rescue woman there had skinny pigs. Maybe you can investigate the vendor listings to find out who she is?

You may have to wait but I have seem them being genuinely rehomed on Craig's List before. Check neighboring city craig's lists as well.

Well My guinea pigs now have a constant supply of food so feeding wouldn't be a problem. I don't know where to get one. I looked for breeders but I can't find any. I wish some one in the PA area knew where I could get one.

Can you specify what kind of food they have a constant supply of? For instance, a constant supply of hay is good because it's an essential part of their diet, as opposed to pellets which are not. They should not have a constant supply of pellets.
Just makin' sure!

You may have to wait but I have seem them being genuinely rehomed on Craig's List before. Check neighboring city craig's lists as well.
Five of the six pigs we have were adopted from Craigslist. It's awesome because you are getting a piggy and a decent cage (for temp. homing and travel) for cheap aaaand, more importantly, you're saving a piggy from a family that is tired of it :)
My Radley is the newest addition to my herd. She licks me and cuddles me sooo much, I think it may be because she's glad to finally have love!
Craigslist is an awesome option.

I know I even posted an ad on craigslist I learned my lesson the hard way about sexing them yourself before you take them. Thats why I am in the search of cages mates for my current two piggies.

@pocketmonster

2 of my 4 are from craig's list as well. It is a good deal and a happy piggy. I like craig's list because the piggies are usually older and calmer. Both my craig's list piggies came with cage, food, hiddies, hay ect. for free. I have one piggy from a rescue and that was a happy experience as well since I was able to do a meet and greet with my other pigs and my first piggy is from a pet store. He was in such bad shape, (injured, underweight, dirty) I couldn't leave him there. =(

@(broken link removed)

I've been on the look out for a skinny pig as well. I have seen some in neighboring cities from me but haven't been able to get up there in time. I saw one near me but it was a girl and I have all boys. Just keep waiting and watching something will come up. =D

I hope so! Either gender for me would work both my pigs are from Craigslist and they were about 8weeks and didn't come with anything but I had cages an food so I wasn't worried I paid 10 for the two!:) sadly though they were not te same gender even though I was told they were so I hope that some one has one because my shelter doesn't have any. And I really want one. I am going to look for a breeder if nothin else so far I haven't seen any skinny pig breeders in my area.):

Our local rescue, Metropolitan Guinea Pig Rescue (www.mgpr.org) didn't have skinnies for months and in the past few weeks has had at least 6. They do metro DC (DC, VA, MD) and I think Butler may be too far away, but they may be able to point you in the right direction -- some of their active volunteers are from PA, including one from Hanover PA. They are very careful with all of the adoptions, but even more so w/ skinnies and special needs piggies.

These are some of their available pigs:

Available Guinea Pigs for Adoption

I could look at those pix all day.

Thanks! I will look at that maybe I could find one!!:)

@(broken link removed) do you know what rescue it was?
I don't know who it was, sorry. I sent an email to the organizers to try to findout, but don't hold your breath. :-(

Menwhile, I'm looking for a Peruvian, if you see one...

Look on the Pittsburgh craigslist there's a 7month old boy named elvis

(broken link removed)
That's the link!:)

Can I see a pic to a 'Skinny Pig'

Woot I think I found a skinny pig! She's is only getting rid of it if it's a boy I will know by like tomorrow or so!:) I'm so excited I hope I get it.:) I know I should check shelters and stuff but he's just a few days old smothered is still time for me to look around and find one but if not next month I will be a proud skinny pig owner!:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.