Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Skinny pig pregnant, Male silky hair and my other female.

Mommy

Cavy Slave
Here are some questions I have, if Im not on here please email me with answers at [email protected]. I have done some research, just want to get answers from people who have guinea pigs and has been in my situation.

First off I have a skinny pig that a lady gave me thats pregnant. You can see the babies kicking, I would like to know how long til the babies are ready to pop out so I am home.

Second is my silky hair male and regualar female guinea pig get along just fine, but they do not get along with my skinny pig, is it because shes pregnant, or because she is hairless? when she has her babies should I keep her still seperated from the others? could i introduce the babies to the others? if so how old should i wait?

Third I heard that I wont be able to touch the babies til they are about a week old, how do I clean the pen out without removing the babies?

thank you

If you can see the babies kicking, it won't be long until delivery. A few days before, her pelvic bones will begin to separate (feel gently with your finger just above her genitals). But, even if you're home you may not see the birth. It can be incredibly quick, and guinea pigs are quiet about it. See www.guinealynx.info/labor.html for some more information about it.

You can handle the babies immediately after they're born, and it's probably better to do so to get them used to you as quickly as possible.

If your skinny pig is not housed with the other two, then leave her separate and don't try to introduce the babies. If she is in with them, then just leave things be -- the other pigs probably won't bother the babies, and may be excellent nannies (read below about those pigs being housed together).

You do need to educate yourself on skinny pig care -- they're not like the haired pigs. They need a warmer environment, plenty of cuddle cups to stay warm in, good skin care, and all pigs in the cage with them need to have their nails filed down after cutting so the skinny won't get scratched. They eat and poop more than haired pigs. Here's a thread about a poster who unexpectedly got a skinny and needed care information: https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=65083

Is either of your other guinea pig pair neutered? If not, please separate them. Pregnancy is very hard on both guinea pig sows and pups, with a high death rate for both, and a high rate of genetic diseases for the pups. Google "lethal white guinea pigs" and "osteodystrophy in guinea pigs" for just two of those conditions. Osteodystrophy in particular is very painful for the pigs, and there's no cure. Lethal whites are born blind, deaf, often toothless, and with very sensitive intestinal tracts. They require intensive and expensive care all of their lives. And there are thousands of unwanted guinea pigs in rescues and shelters, so there's no need to deliberately breed more.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.