Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay "Skinny" hay?

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
15 months ago we drove an hour to this awesome feed store we had been told about and bought a 100lb bale of the most lovely, lush, green looking orchard hay. The piggies loved it! It lasted forever and was perfect until the last handful.

This past weekend we drove up there again and bought another 100lb bale, put it in our canvas bag and hauled it home. At the time we thought it didn't look as "leafy" as our last bale, but that maybe it's just a little bit different. However, after we got home we compared it to our old hay and it looked SO different. It's not very "leafy". It's soft, and greener than the picture suggests, but there is not flat grass blades.. What are we dealing with here?

[GuineaPigCages.com] "Skinny" hay?

It kind of looks like wheat grass to me

The last year was really bad for hay. Your guinea pigs will still eat it, though, so it's not a problem. Every hay order I get tends to be a little different from the last but my pigs have enjoyed all of it. Your hay looks nice and green so it should be fine.

Possibly a different kind of hay? That looks like bluegrass to me. Timothy has a wider, flatter blade.

It looks like orchard grass to me, sometimes we get a bag with thin blades like that, piggy still likes it just fine though so its ok.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.