Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Impaction Skin Irritation

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Okay so as I have posted about before, Mickey, one of my seniors is dealing with impaction. I do regularly clean him out and I have been seeing single poos around his cage so he is getting some of it out himself.

My concern is this - I've noticed when I pick him up, that his backside - particularly his back legs is wet. So I'm thinking the urine is becoming an issue as well.

Is there something I can use to either prevent his fur from being perpetually wet and maybe something I can use to ease his skin irritation, if it is, indeed urine?

You can keep the hair trimmed away. You can also wash and dry his bottom and put a very thin application of Desitin on the area and see if that helps.

He is an American Crested shorthair so there isn't any long fur hanging down/nothing to cut, short of shaving his bum LOL

Is there any risk in him ingesting the Desitin if it's on or around his back legs?

Not if you put it on thinly enough. All you want is a very thin film to keep the urine away from his skin. Try putting just a dab on the end of a Q-tip and work it in as well as you can without further irritating the area.

Then watch him to make sure he isn't licking it.

If you're worried about the Desitin, you might try cold pressed virgin coconut oil, but that won't have the same antibacterial properties as the Desitin. I guess you could try it first, and if it doesn't work, then switch to Desitin.

Okay, Ill do that - if he DOES lick the Desitin though, while he is grooming or whatnot, would it make him sick?

I don't know if it will make your pig sick or not. It's the recommended treatment for urine scald in guinea pigs, so it can't be too much of a problem.

Guinea pigs don't spend a lot of time grooming themselves the way cats do, so they're not as likely to ingest medicines that are applied topically. But if you notice him paying more attention to the area after you put it on, like it might be stinging or something, then I'd wipe it off and try something else.

Thanks, I'll try that. I'm not new to pigs but this issue with impaction is new to me. I've only ever had one other senior pig who ended up impacted but he didn't have the wet fur urine issue.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.