Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

size of cage for five!

midgetdesi

Cavy Slave
Hi-
I need to know if my cage plan is alright for my five piggies. I already have a 2x3 cage, I was going to make another 2x4 cage and make a "L" Right now they will share a was or grids and when the boys get fix will be one big cage. Is this enough room? If they all dont get along after the proceeger I will have one of the boys with the two girls in the bigger cage and the other two boys in the smaller one. Is this all ok?

Thanks
Desi

critterlover

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure if they'll all get along with that many males. I have one piggie in a 2x4 by himself so putting 3 piggies in a 2x4 seems very crowded. You can always build a 2nd level if you're worried about the cage not being big enough and if floor space is an issue.

midgetdesi

Cavy Slave
yes i know and i am going to make the new one 2x6 or as big as I can, the other one is 2x3 and that one will be for 2 piggies.
Thanks
Desi

CavyCrazyMom

Cavy Slave
do you think that if two males that didn't get along at first, but have been living side by side for a while and touching noses and stuff...do you htink if I try to put them together again after a couple weeks of seperation they might live together peacefully?? Or should I just keep it the way it is??

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
I think you should at least try to get them together (lol sounds weird) again. And see how it goes. Are the two males Felix, and the one Daddy that you rescued?

CavyCrazyMom

Cavy Slave
yeah. But I built them cages now, so it's not like imperitive that I have them together like it was before I got new grids. So everyone's fine, but I want to adopt them out as a pair, if they like each other of course, but I don't want to force them together you know??

it's reall cool though because I got enough grids to build mom and baby a 1x2 cage, and the two males I have 2x2 cages. Plus I added a loft to my girls cage, and when I get another table in here I'm gonna make a 2x2 cage for Emma. I actually just might build her a loft above the boys and mom...it'll be a 1x5...do you think that would be ok for her? Her cage now is the size of a 1x2 1/2 (store cage)...that she came in.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
midgetdesi said:
Hi-
I need to know if my cage plan is alright for my five piggies. I already have a 2x3 cage, I was going to make another 2x4 cage and make a "L" Right now they will share a was or grids and when the boys get fix will be one big cage. Is this enough room? If they all dont get along after the proceeger I will have one of the boys with the two girls in the bigger cage and the other two boys in the smaller one. Is this all ok?

Thanks
Desi
I'm confused.. but 2boys generally won't get along in the same cage with girls. It's best to have 1 male only in with females and pair up males. Nuetering males does not change behavior or make them live together/with females any better. It only stops pregnancy. So really if you just want to put 1 male with the females or just leave all the males together and the females together you don't need to neuter them all.. it's an unnecessary surgery in that case. For size info just look on the main page of cavycages.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Do not put multiple boars in with sows--they will only fight and bicker, and this can even end in death! They can get along peacefully in harems--one boar to however many sows (the boar being neutered, of course).

Also, you need to wait at least two to three weeks before it's safe to even house the neutered boars with the sows.

As for the cage size, do you mean you are thinking of combining a 2x3 and 2x4? Sorry, I couldn't really follow.

As for the caging info, look on the home page of this site.

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
I have two boars and three sows. I tried putting them all together once. My backyard pen is a lot bigger than a 2x6 cage. I thought it MIGHT work because they had been together for a while with no problems. It didnt. They tried to kill one another. Since I was prepared for that possibility I seperated them quickly. Now I have one boar with two sows and the other boar with the other sow. The pen is big enough that even after I cut it in half, it still exceeds the minimum cage requirements. Good luck.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the testimonial, tashagurl. midgetdesi, any news?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.