Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Simon's Medical Thread

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Simon's original medical thread is too old to edit. You can find it here:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/123314-Simon-s-Medical-Thread?highlight=Simon

One of the boys has been having VERY mushy poops for the last week or so. Have not been able to pinpoint which one it was. All veggies have been cut out, and daily doses of benebac were started for both boys.

It seemed to help. Poops went back to normal. Stopped the benebac a few days ago, but still not feeding veggies. This morning, Simon has almost liquid diarrhea.

Waiting for a call back from the vet to get him in.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just got home from the vet, actually.

No sign of infection, as nothing else is wrong. Hydration is great. Still eating and drinking normally. Weight is good, actually up roughly 80 grams from the last visit he had. Teeth are in great shape. Did I mention he has a big time attitude?

Dr Ker feels that its some sort of imbalance in gut flora. They are to get no veggies of any kind for a week. Supplementary vitamin C. Benebac twice daily and reevaluate in one week if no change. They got benebac this morning and while his poops weren't the greatest during the day today, they were markedly improved over the liquid and mucusy quality poops from this morning.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
So, neither of the boys have gotten any vegetables since Wednesday morning. I weighed them this morning as I always do, and Leo was up while Simon was down slightly.

They have been getting benebac twice daily until yesterday. They got it in the morning but not the evening. This morning, their poops were actually very good. But I did find ONE very, very soft diarrhea poop. Sticky and very soft, barely formed.

Any one have any ideas? It's been a few days and no veggies and yet I'm still finding diarrhea.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Have they been treated with flagyl (metronidazole)?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Not as yet. We are trying the benebac and no veggies first. And for the most part it seems to be working, but for that stray really bad poop.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
So here we are a couple weeks later. Both pigs had all veggies removed for one week. They were allowed back pepper slices for a week, then baby carrots. As of last week they have had lettuce added back in, and radicchio and endive occasionally.

Happy to report that all seems back to normal!