Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Silly Idea

99p Flake

Cavy Slave
I've been thinking of a variety of ways that I could go about building a big cage, and what would be a good alternative to woodshavings (Don't mention Care Fresh or whatever it is, the stuff doesn't seem to exist around here, and I've never actually heard of it) thus I had a daft idea: What about getting some fresh natural lawn turf or even growing my own grass indoors? Then, I could place it in the cage as a 'natural' floor for them to run around, and replace it when it needs to grow/be watered etc etc. Or at least have part of the cage covered in such a floor.

It didn't seem like a totally bad idea to me..

Am I just mad or something?

supertramp

Cavy Slave
You're probably gonna have problems with watering it... and they need a lot of hay. The hay will end up killing off the grass, it seems like a hell of a lot of effort. Why can't you use wood shavings? You can buy huge bags very cheaply..

99p Flake

Cavy Slave
Generally I keep the hay seperate from their bedding as it makes too much mess, and they are more than happy to go after it.

I just thought they may appreciate something natural :p

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
I thought of doing that formy pigs only sor part of the cage though. and like have it in a low tub to grow and stuff. That way dirt doesnt get everywhere. You could make like three and rotate them every few days. Whe have some grass in a flower plant for our dogs because whe dont have grass and they were eating the other plants. I think I will do that.

Treen

Cavy Slave
I would think it would be a little tricky to keep the grass moist enough to thrive without making it too damp for them to be lying about on, while keeping it indoors with no drainage. It's good for a little grassy area which you can air outside, but not for living on.

See if you have a shop near you that sells horse supplies - they sell bags of chopped straw really cheaply. Not quite as absorbant as wood shavings, but a good alternative. There's also a product called megazorb (broken link removed) (similar to carefresh, but much better in my opinion - as well as cheaper) which you can get over here - it's really absorbant and biodegradable.

piggielover92

Cavy Slave
I use Timothy Hay that I get by the bale that I get at a farm supply store for only $20!

cAvYcRaZy

Cavy Slave
bedding

i buy my bedding from a feed store. its only $8. Its called Long Beach Shavings CO.

kennethlhm

Cavy Slave
if u wan grow grass, then u need watering it. then it is wet & not suitable for ur GP.

cavylover
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

ChadWPB

Cavy Slave
kennethlhm said:
if u wan grow grass, then u need watering it. then it is wet & not suitable for ur GP.
Please do not use chatspeak on these forums!

Please use proper English: NO CHAT-SPEAK, spell out your words (for example, do NOT use "u" for "you"), use proper punctuation and capitalize the beginning of each sentence. In this international forum, please use slang with restraint. Easy to read and understand posts get faster and better replies.
Thank you!

rhollowell

Cavy Slave
Sounds like a good idea in theory

Let me know if you try this and if it works. Sounds like a better and happier way to go for them and us "slaves".

99p Flake said:
I've been thinking of a variety of ways that I could go about building a big cage, and what would be a good alternative to woodshavings (Don't mention Care Fresh or whatever it is, the stuff doesn't seem to exist around here, and I've never actually heard of it) thus I had a daft idea: What about getting some fresh natural lawn turf or even growing my own grass indoors? Then, I could place it in the cage as a 'natural' floor for them to run around, and replace it when it needs to grow/be watered etc etc. Or at least have part of the cage covered in such a floor.

It didn't seem like a totally bad idea to me..

Am I just mad or something?

cornhill

Cavy Slave
hay

piggielover92 said:
I use Timothy Hay that I get by the bale that I get at a farm supply store for only $20!
I paid $5.85 a bale for pure Timothy Hay at horse farm in Va. Beach. I bought 6 bales and a Rubbermade bin to store it outside. Really works well.

icesprite

Cavy Slave
Have you considered using fleece or towels as bedding? I use fleece and I like it so much more than shavings!

My problems with the turf idea are:
- You will need a gigantic cage to keep the grass from being all eaten and the bedding just turning into dirt.
- Cleaning the cage out - I don't know whether it would take in the pee smell but you will still need to get rid of the poo somehow.

It's a kinda cute idea though :)

rhollowell

Cavy Slave
Timothy Hay by the bake

I live in East Central Illinois and unfortunately I don't know of any farms here or any other source close by for bales of Timothy Hay. I wish I could go that route without spending a fortune to get it here.

cornhill said:
I paid $5.85 a bale for pure Timothy Hay at horse farm in Va. Beach. I bought 6 bales and a Rubbermade bin to store it outside. Really works well.

Emily F.

Cavy Slave
No, dosen't sound like a very good idea. But, Hey, I really think you should try it, to test some different ideas! So GO FOR IT! LoL

Lots of Love,

Em

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
You could try getting some hay from (broken link removed). It's cheaper, even when you add on the shipping charge! =)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.