Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

<sigh......>

If you can't find the money to get her help, I know its very hard, but you need to find her a new home asap. Even if you have to take her to your local vet and surrender her to them.

If you live in the Wyoming country side there is bound to be an old country vet that will see your guinea pig for less than 200 dollars. I have worked for an exotic vet before I can't remember the exact cost of an ultrasound but I don't think it was 200 dollars. I know for a fact the large animal vet I worked for did not charge that much.

If you truly do live in cattle country there is bound to be at least a few vets near you, call them up ask what it costs to see a guinea pig, compare prices, shop around, ask about payment plans, mention you believe she needs an ultrasound and ask the estimated cost of that. Talk to the vet as well, see if the will be willing to give you a discount. The worst they can say is no. I know not all vets know about guinea pigs but something like possible cysts or a pregnancy should be something that a regular vet can handle. Now if she needs surgery or something you will want to look for someone with a lot of guinea pig experience.

I think you have a few options on money as well. Do you have some old toys, clothing, stuff in the garage, etc that you could sell on Craig's List (with your parents permission of course) to get some money to help cover vet costs? What about shoveling the neighbor's driveways or baby sitting? You could probably get close to 100 dollars in a week by shoveling snow and watching kids.

If your parents see you working hard to figure this problem out, to help your guinea pig and how much you truly care for her they may be more willing to help you. I don't see how any loving parent could watch their child work so hard and not try to help in some way.

This is your guinea pig, she is your responsibility. It is not easy to do the right thing but sometimes that is the point. To take care of your guinea pig baby you need to work hard, get the money you need to take her to the vet. If that isn't possible you need to find a rescue or person willing to take on the possible medical costs. I would personally be hesitant to send her to a shelter as most will not treat an animal that is ill, especially a small animal.

What can I do for her (any special diet, exercise, whatever), until she gets rehomed? What can I do right now?

I totally sympathize with you and I can imagine how hard it must be to have to deal with this situation. As of right now, be very watchful and look for any more signs of illness or unusual behavior. I'll let a more experienced piggy owner answer the other questions, but I would say to give her lots of extra love.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.