Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection *sigh* Possible URIs

I just started looking, and so far I've found that it's common in much larger doses (.75 mL and up) but I definitely will. She's doing fine right now, eating and drinking and running around. Hopefully that one dose won't have any negative results...

@foggycreekcavy @madelineelaine I called the vet. She said that ideally, she would have not used cephalexin, but since her lower cavity sounded clear she wanted to use a very small dose of cephalexin because she didn't want to use anything as invasive. I don't know whether to continue the antibiotics and trust her, or stop...I think I might call another vet and get their opinion

I'd go with another vet.

I'm sorry to hear you and your pig are going through this. And to learn your vet is using something unapproved must be upsetting! I hope everything turn out okay. Positive vibes!

I know first ever vet trip with a pig and this is how it goes!
Thanks, I'll keep you all posted
I'd go with another vet.

I'm sorry to hear you and your pig are going through this. And to learn your vet is using something unapproved must be upsetting! I hope everything turn out okay. Positive vibes!

Found another cavy vet, a little further away from me. Talked to him about what was wrong with her and what she had taken, he said the same thing. He said that it's a very dangerous antibiotic because you have to dose it properly, but she is being given such a little amount that there should be no problems and if there are it won't be medication related. He said I should resume with administering it.

Now I'm quite confused as to where to go...do I ask another vet's opinion? Or do I continue with the medication?

don't use that, it's toxic. Find a new vet that will give you proper medication.

I've gone through 2, off to the 3rd!

I just booked a URI suspected appointment for my Callie - 85.00 right off the bat for just the check up.
Ouch.
Good thing I've been socking money away for these piggy bills!

Thank you @2198lindsey - definitely going armed with information to this vet visit!

I've spent 150 in the past 2 days.

I hope yours goes better than mine!
I just booked a URI suspected appointment for my Callie - 85.00 right off the bat for just the check up.
Ouch.
Good thing I've been socking money away for these piggy bills!

There are other antibiotics that would work just as well on an URI and are not dangerous. Baytril, Bactrim, Chloramphenicol, Doxycycline are just some.

Have you checked the Guinea Lynx vet list? You can also find the rabbit/guinea pig rescues in your area to see which vet they use. Or, you can call your first vet and say that you understand now why she used it, but you would feel more comfortable using one of the antibiotics on the "safe" list.

She said Baytril is more invasive, she didn't want to use it and that since the stuff I had that was already mixed there was no point. I decided to stop arguing and talked to the rescue I got Babe and her mom from, he's the one who told me it would be totally safe and there's no point in switching her since she already had a dose and it might mess up her stomach.

Tommorow I guess I'll have to continue a search for a savvy vet. The next one is about 2 hours away and I'll try that one. The medicine hasn't affected her negatively, thank god, and everything's normal.
There are other antibiotics that would work just as well on an URI and are not dangerous. Baytril, Bactrim, Chloramphenicol, Doxycycline are just some.

Have you checked the Guinea Lynx vet list? You can also find the rabbit/guinea pig rescues in your area to see which vet they use. Or, you can call your first vet and say that you understand now why she used it, but you would feel more comfortable using one of the antibiotics on the "safe" list.

How old is she?

Baytril is the most prescribed antibiotic for guinea pigs. It works very well for things like URIs. It's not for very young pigs, and sometimes a pig will develop a problem with it, but for the most part it works very well for guinea pigs. And most vets have it on hand. If you use a probiotic you limit the risk of any digestive upset.

Bactrim is milder on the digestive system, but it's not as strong for URIs. It can be used in conjunction with some of the other antibiotics, though.

She's less than 6 months old, about 5. I'm just hoping this vet will perscribe something better and I can be over this nightmare and financial drain and she will start getting healthy.
How old is she?

Baytril is the most prescribed antibiotic for guinea pigs. It works very well for things like URIs. It's not for very young pigs, and sometimes a pig will develop a problem with it, but for the most part it works very well for guinea pigs. And most vets have it on hand. If you use a probiotic you limit the risk of any digestive upset.

Bactrim is milder on the digestive system, but it's not as strong for URIs. It can be used in conjunction with some of the other antibiotics, though.

Bactrim is usually very inexpensive. If it gets prescribed, you can ask for the prescription to be sent to your human pharmacy and it's even cheaper there.

Okay thanks!
Bactrim is usually very inexpensive. If it gets prescribed, you can ask for the prescription to be sent to your human pharmacy and it's even cheaper there.

Underweight

While taking Babe to the vet over her URI, the vet told me she was a little on the skinny side. Which we agreed was due to the fact that she had a littler about a month ago.

I was wondering if there are any sure-fire ways to get a pig up to parr with their weight?

Since she's less than six months old, you can give her a bit of alfalfa hay. I normally never feed alfalfa, but it does have it's uses in helping to put weight on pigs. Is she on alfalfa pellets?

I would also give her more veggies/greens.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.