Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Sick Piggy and the Vet is Closed!

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
My approximately 3 month old pig Brownie has developed a URI in the last couple of days. She is still eating some on her own but not enough, and she has lost weight. I have been hand feeding her some to supplement her intake. I have made a pellet mash with a crushed Daily C tablet mixed with green bean baby food. Smells horrible, but shellikes it. I don't have to force feed her or anything I just feed it with my fingers and a plate.
My vet is closed tomorrow for the holiday. Is there anything else I can do for her for the next 30 hours or so until we can see the vet for antibiotics?

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
The pellet mash is good to make sure she is getting the food she needs. If you have Critical Care on hand, I would also syringe feed that to her. Also if she isn't drinking, syringe feed her water.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's a tough call to make. She definitely needs the antibiotics, but most vets don't know anything about guinea pigs, and young pigs aren't usually given Baytril, which is the drug of choice for URIs in pigs. You might see if you can find an emergency vet that's open and ask for doxycycline, then try to get her to an exotic vet as soon as one is open. See http://www.guinealynx.info/uri.html.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.