Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Scratching Sick Piggies...

ohiocountrygirl06

Cavy Slave
I noticed my one pig (Sgt. Bigelow) being kind of lethargic with a lot of loose dry skin and the other (Coca Cola) with bald spots that have gotten bigger sine I got him. The vet checked him out and didn't know what was causing the bald spot. So, I took them back to the vet and she said that the one (Sgt. Bigelow) has lice (they're redish brown color) and the other (Coca Cola) may have them with possible mites. She gave me revolution, but I took it back because someone told me I could treat them by putting canola oil on them. So, I did this. It smothered out all the lives ones, but I can't stand seeing them in oil any more. I asked the vet if advantage or ivermectin would work and they told me "no", although I've researched it and found that it does. I have cats and I'm worried that they may get it, too. I usually treat my cats with a walmart product for fleas, but if I find one, I usually buy revolution. Also, this vet wanted me to use the revolution like once every two weeks. Would that be safe even though it's for kittens or puppies under 5 lbs? Does advantage really work and is there another solution I could try? I need all the advice I can get on this. I've cleaned the whole apartment and dusted with lice, flea, and tick stuff, got them paper litter, comb them every day and took out all their wood products because they said they can live in wood. Is this true? I really need help!

Signed,
VERY WORRIED!

Unfortunately you should have kept the Revolution. It works best, in my opinion, for instances where the pigs have or could have both mites and lice.

Usually once is all that's needed. In some severe cases a second dose can be given two weeks to a month later.

I wouldn't use the canola oil again.

:-| reddish brown lice? sounds more like poultry mites to me, it's odd that two GPs closely habituating would have two different pests. Stay away from powders like food grade DE and sevin dust, because the GPs have sensitive respiratory systems. Searching the forums it sounds like advantage *is* an option, & this site has the dosage info:
https://www.guinealynx.info/

Advantage used to be an option for lice, but the company that made it reconfigured it (Advantage II) and now it's very hard to find the original Advantage.

Revolution works for mites and lice.

You can order Revolution online from Pet Shed. It's a good investment.

I plan on bathing the piggies in a real mild shampoo today and tomorrow and to get revolution tomorrow, too. Is there anything else I should be doing? I want make sure they don't come back and not get in my carpet and such.

ONLY use kitten or rabbit shampoo!!! Even baby human shampoo is too much for GPs!

I would not bathe them if they have lice or mites.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.