Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick sick pig, on the mend??

jconn82

Cavy Slave
So heres the story in a nut shell:\
Bowser boy the pig pig got sick. He started wheezing loudly, I took him to the vet immediately and he was given antibiotics. Vet said it was a URI. antibiotics worked. While on them he lost interested in food and began loosing weight. I have been hand feeding critical care.
We are now done the antibiotics, its been 2 weeks since the vet visit. And Bowser boy is still lethargic and wont eat. All URI symptoms are gone.. Vet said he seems to have recovered from URI because I brought him in so quickly..

So my question is, why wont he eat yet? Maybe his tummy is still irritated from the antibiotics?
How long do pigs tend to take to recover?
Thanks guys! I'm very worried about my boy, and any help would be amazing!
Jen

Im no expert on this, but I would imagine some kind of probiotic may be needed to replenish the good bacteria in his tummy :)

I literally gave him one while I was waiting for responses. Hoping it helps :/

Probiotics are a good idea. Fresh poops from a healthy pig are also great.

Have you been weighing him daily? If he isn't eating, you need to start handfeeding him. If you aren't familiar with hand feeding, browse the following link for a while: https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

If your pig doesn't happily take to handfeeding, you will need to force it. Try to get some Critical Care, or mix pellets with water to make a mash, and offer it in a 1mL syringe with the tip cut off and sanded smooth. If your pig hates CC, you can try mixing it with an Odwalla pure juice drink to make it a bit more palatable.

I've been force feeding critical care for about a week now. did the fresh poops from my healthy girls this morning.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.