Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sick of Upper Level Kitchen Area

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Well, I wasn't sure where to post this but as the title states...

I AM SICK OF GINGER'S UPPER LEVEL KITCHEN AREA!!!!

Whew! Okay, now that that's out, here are some details. You see, I've tried 3 different types of bedding for her upper level:

-First, fleece. Which of course, I love. But at the time, I didn't have one to fit the loft, and it looked terrible.
Now, I would go back to this, as this Friday I am making new liners for her cage. However, the hay gets everywhere. I wouldn't know what to do with it!

-Second, wood pellets. I am not using these anymore, because they were WAY TOO MESSY (got on the main level of the cage) and since they were on the top level it got really dusty on the main level and Ginger was sneezing too much.

-And finally, I am currently using aspen. However, this is very messy as well.

In conclusion, the point of this is to ask what I can use for hay when I am using fleece. lol sorry about the long rant, I guess I could've just posted this las sentence :p

Thanks for reading and future help!

-Ariona :)

I've never bothered with second levels. I know I would get too angry. I also just use fleece, I don't have a sectioned off kitchen with bedding. The hay does stick to the fleece, but I shake the fleece off like a maniac and I've never had a problem. I use a bent grid as a hay rack.
My pigs are pretty good at not making a mess of the hay. Poop, on the other hand . . . :rolleyes:

I hated my second level and completely removed it. I use corner litter pans. I put a thin layer of shredded newspaper on the bottom and hay on top. My males tend to pull some of theirs out of the bin but my females are pretty tidy with theirs in their cages.

Allow me to re-phrase: I am not sick of my upper level, just the kitchen area. My question is, what can I use for a hay rack so it won't stick to the fleece?

Allow me to re-phrase: I am not sick of my upper level, just the kitchen area. My question is, what can I use for a hay rack so it won't stick to the fleece?

Sorry if I didn't really make my post clear. What I was getting at is that I use a bent grid for a hay rack. Some hay sticks to the fleece, but I just shake it off really well before I wash it. I have no knowledge of a hay rack that will completely solve the problem of hay sticking to fleece. With my method, I don't really have an issue with hay on fleece.
What are you using to contain your hay now?

Ya, it just really annoys me having hay on the fleece. I was using a hay rack I got from PetSmart that goes on the outisde of the cage. I am on my phone right now so I can't post a pic though, it is like the "Lixur" one or something. I'm pretty sure it's the only one there though.

I recently tried a grid, though it wasn't bent. I didn't like the look of it though, and it was still messy. Now I just put a clump of hay in her litter box.

Is there any kind of box I could put UNDERNEATH the hay to prevent it from getting on the fleece?

:crazy: Ahhh so confusing! lol

I've seen some people do the bent grid rack with a cat litter pan under it to catch the loose hay. I guess you would still need to have some sort of bedding in that, though. Have you ever used CareFresh or Boxo? We use Boxo in our chinchilla's litter pan and we have no problems with it. You can press it into the pan and it will compact down so loose bits don't go flying everywhere.

I velcro a corner litter pan in each of my cages and put the hay in there. It's worked well for me.

[GuineaPigCages.com] Sick of Upper Level Kitchen Area[GuineaPigCages.com] Sick of Upper Level Kitchen Area
This is my kitchen area with fleece they keep the hay in this area. You can always vacuum the hay off or get one of those lint rollers to spot clean it daily.

Try Yesterday's News paper pellets. They are heavy and don't break down to dust like wood pellets do.

I liked Yesterday's News in the kitchen the best. I have gone back to fleece in my kitchen since I'm planning on sewing liners for it soon. I use the Bed Bath and Beyond utensil holder for hay and only a few pieces find their way out of the kitchen :) When I sweep, I pick up the few pieces and throw them back in the kitchen. Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I've seen some people do the bent grid rack with a cat litter pan under it to catch the loose hay.

I velcro a corner litter pan in each of my cages and put the hay in there. It's worked well for me.

What litter pans/cat litter boxes do you guys use/have you heard of being used? If that makes any sense lol

Also, @ellisa, could you post a pic of your hay rack?

A You Tuber (a great piggy parent) said she had the same problem in one of her videos. She was considering ways to redo her cage. She said she was considering making a lower level kitchen so gravity would pull most of the hay away from the piggies as they walked up. She didn't do it, though- she just ended up using a single level of correx (she's from the UK). I don't know if that idea might help or not, but it's all I've got. I don't have the right kind of experience to know about hay racks, sorry. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.