Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Shy GP never caged with another GP

sakee

Cavy Slave
I am thinking about getting our GP a friend. My guinea pig now is friendly, kind of quiet. The one I am thinking about is described as a good pig and never bites but he is shy. He will be happiest if he can be in a home with a person who understands that being picked up and held is scary for him. But that doesn't mean he doesn't love you, it's just his personality.
I have three young children who like to sit and snuggle our GP now. Would it be possible to get this GP and help him relax and warm up to us and the other pig? Or is it better he stays alone?

No Guinea Pig should stay alone unless they absolutely cannot live with another pig.

If he is nice and never bites, then why wouldn't you get him? If he is shy, then it will take time to get him accustomed to people-- Not being alone by himself. That wouldn't help.

Of course it is possible. However, perhaps you should be the one to hold him rather than the children.

That's good news. I think I really want to get him, he sounds lonely. I supervise the lap time with the kids, so I think they will understand they will need to give him space

And who knows, maybe he'll blossum into a super friendly love bug! When I got my Bear he was so skittsh and he seemed sweet only because he got terrified when you were holding him. But as I've had him, and with the help of my two other gps, he has opened up a lot and enjoys cuddle time now. I still have work to do with him but he is t as shy as when I first got him.

The shelter wrote me back saying I should keep them in separate cages because males don't like companions unless they have grown up together. I am thinking this is just a myth?

What you have been told isn't true, males can live together some in pairs or even trios. Aslong as their is enough cage space for them, there is no reason why you shouldn't try and get your guinea pig a friend. However they may be harder to introduce it is possible.

It definitely is a myth. Many people have successfully introduced pairs of males, and to a lesser extent, bigger groups. However, if you think the shelter will refuse you based on that fact, I think you should just go with it. Tell them that you'll keep him in a cage by himself, and once you get him home and quarantine is over, try introductions. It can't hurt. Yeah, it's lying, but when a shelter is advocating what isn't necessarily best for the guinea pig, I think it's justified. If he truly won't get along with your current pig, then do what they say.

yup, that's what I was thinking too

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.