Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding shredded paper?

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
I did a search and didn't see anything and looked at the main page under bedding and didn't see this listed. I'm assuming it's a no-no since it's not discussed, but just in case....
Is shredded copy paper OK to use for bedding? Like the paper from my home that I shred? If no, just wondering why.

I see that some think newspaper is fine, but I'm asking about just recycled paper.
Just trying to find out the pros/cons to everything BEFORE we bring a GP home :)

Thanks

Llamasomething

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure it would be the best.
It would show exactly where they've done thier business, with the white paper turning brown/yellow, and wouldn't look very nice. I don't think it would absorb very well, and would probably leave the pigs walking on wet bedding which isn't good for their little feet. Also, my Stanley love eating paper and cardboard, so I would be worried about pigs just sitting there munching the paper all the time.

It might be something fun to put a little pile of in their cage once in a while to see if they try to tunnel through it and what not, but I wouldn't use it as a regular bedding.

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
Thanks! That is helpful and makes sense.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.