Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Showing piggies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Same, I'm not for showing, but I would love to go to one to see how the pigs are cared for/handled etc.

Himino

Cavy Slave
Piglet is that a skinny pig in your advtar?

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
Jahoban. I have been through what you went through about how people yelled at me thinking that I was breeding and I wasnt. 3 of my famale piggies were al ready pregnant and one of them got accedently pregnant and they all said that I was breeding and why buy at pet stores. I never knew the site until I met a lady right up the street from me that had piggies to a good home. I had questions aobut my one female that kept getting fat. She came down and gave me this site and told me that she is pregnant with 3. and she was right.

Krysanthemum

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry, but this is a hostile site. I've hung around gaming forums that are full of obnoxious adolescent males, and I thought I'd seen it all. But on this forum, I've seen people abused simply because they don't know as much, or have a differing opinion. Just this week, one forumer was told that they don't deserve to look after guinea pigs at all.

The information offered here is great, but it's almost always prefaced with "never have a single guinea pig" and "never buy from pet shops". While that is valuable information, I don't think it needs to be laboured over and over, especially when someone has asked a simple question about bedding or food.

For myself, I bought a single pig from a pet shop, and found this website a great source of information. I found that a single guinea pig is lonely, but decided after looking around that my second guinea pig would also come from a pet store, simply because there are no shelters in my area. After posting so much about my first piggie, I felt ashamed about this and haven't posted about my second, even though I am very proud of her.

I understand that guinea pig welfare is a subject people are passionate about, but I think the message needs to be conveyed a little more calmly. All that is being achieved here is alienating fellow cavy lovers. I imaging there would be a lot more conversation on this forum if people weren't made to feel so stupid.

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
I hear you krystanthemum. i feel the same way as you do. I was shot down a few times about my bunnies so I decided not to keep pics up and talk about my bunnies. I have been shot down a few times about the piggies. I am proud to be the mother of all my little piggies. Also some people needs to be more passionate when someone askes nice questions that are reasonable. But I can understand if someone has to be shot down the that person is so stuborn and refuse to care at all. I totaly agree with you krystanthemum a hundred percent.its about time someone else would say something. I remember when I first posted a pic of my bunny the very first comment was The cage is waaaaaay too small and cedar will kill your bunny.Mean while I never knew that cedar would kill my bunnies and the cages were small too. Sometimes some of you people needs to step back and just simply say here is a site for cedar info and cage info instead of being shot down and feeling stupid, I felt stupid and felt like I hurt my bunnies because of that stupid comment.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I agree, and I do try to do my part to be calm. I really do apologize to anyone I've offended. Also, I know that it seems that we're being critical, but we have good intentions. I hope you don't think the forums are entirely hostile. Thanks for bringing this up.

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
Its no problem at all mn. There are people who needs to be lectured and there are some who dont.

90katrina90

Cavy Slave
Hiya. I show all 18 of mine. I've only ever bred 4 times. Showing only stresses those guinea pigs that are not good with human contact. If your guinea pig is terrified when it sees you.. then showing it is a NO! But I have lots of piggies that like to be out of their cage.. and they get to see and hear many other piggies! It'd be kinda like going to a beauty contest I guess! But... there are other people who will handle your pig i.e.. stewards.. these are people who collect the piggies from their cages and place them onto the show table - some can be a little rough.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
But I have lots of piggies that like to be out of their cage..

No doubt.

It'd be kinda like going to a beauty contest I guess!

I don't think so.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
I think it would be cool to do a piggy friendly show. Nowbody can have there pigs in less than a 2x2 cage and all the piggies win carrots !!

carrotflavour

Cavy Slave
I've been to a few shows in my time. I go because I love seeing loads of different kind of guinea pigs, and its nice starting conversations with other owners.

I know one lady who shows a lot (as a hobby, for pure enjoyment) and shes very nice and treats her pigs very well.

I dont think its exactly 'animal abuse' or anything, but yeh it cant be that good for them.

Patch

Cavy Slave
I am part of a 4-h for my rabbits (two). I take them to maybe one or two shows a year for fun. The cages are rather small…but you can take your own carriers and keep them in that, I stay were my rabbits are all day and always have at least one in my arms, while socializing with my 4-h friends lol. I think it really depends on the person weather it is really cruel or not, if some one just takes there rabbit or cavy to a show like once or twice a year and always makes sure they have fresh food, water and no one is poking at them or anything I think it is ok. Also if you keep them in a carrier with a towel over it or something (I do sometimes) this is not as much stress

Treen

Cavy Slave
It might be 'not as much stress' but the travelling, different smells, being kept in an enclosed space etc are all definite stressors for them. They gain absolutely nothing by going to the show - it's just about the people gaining something whether their motivation is social or prizes/ reputation.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Not to mention all that potential sickness floating around in the air... cavy and human alike.

woochie

Cavy Slave
Access said:
I have seen one cavy show in my life. At the local fair.

What country was this in?
And, why do you judge all shows on one that you were at? How long were you there?

The pigs are kept alone, in wire bottom cages of area less than a square foot. No bedding, water, but no food while on display (food makes them poop).

Yes, these are called "show coops." They stay in them for up to about a half hour at the most usually (while their breed and variety are on the current table being judged). When they are not in show coops, they are in carry cages or larger show cages, complete with feed, water, and usually hay and/or treats. Owners can bring "houses" or boxes for them to hide in if they want.

Many pigs had their hair wrapped in these bun-things to create those whirls or other effects that are indicitive of certain breeds.

These are called "wraps" and it is to keep the hair clean and matt-free. Do you do anything special to your hair? Or do you just "let it be?"

Pigs show signs of inbreeding - albinism, hair loss or no hair at all, etc.

Albinism is not a sign of in-breeding. Neither is hair loss or being hairless. Where did you get these ideas?

At least in a dog show, the dogs seem happy to be doing what they're doing. These pigs just sit around in cages all day... they don't look happy at all.

And, you invoke human traits on small rodents...........how do you know how they feel?

The judges rate the pigs on things like breed and temperment, so owners are incentivized to drug their pigs (to calm them down) and to continually breed in order to try to produce the 'perfect' offspring according to breed guidlines.

The judging standards I have read have never stated those 2 reasons you mention. Mostly they are judged on type, colour, patterns, and conformity to a standard of perfection as well as breed-specific details, like hair length, texture, satin, or kink. I have never heard of anyone drugging their pigs to take to a show. Where do you get your information?

I guess it's even worse for the mama pigs... being forced to breed repeatedly with different males all in the quest for the 'perfect' offspring.

Cavies in the wild have very short life spans due to continuous breeding. Breeders actually like to space theirs out to not over-tax the sows. They want them to last, and have a better quality of life than those in the wild.
Sure, there are exceptions, but that is the general consensus of breeders that I know. They usually have 1-2 litters per year. Also, if they are being shown, then they are not being bred.

Once you see it up close, you'll hate it.
Well, what is not your cup of tea is for someone else.

woochie

Cavy Slave
As a side note: I have been to many shows in the USA and Canada, and even a large one in the UK. I have imported cavies from England, and have a friend who brought some in from Holland and another woman brought hers with her from Germany.

woochie

Cavy Slave
Cavy Shows are a great way to see up close all the variety of breeds and colours available. It's also a great way to learn about cavies. Breeders know a lot, especially the ones who have been doing it the longest. Sometimes a vet will even be on hand you can ask things to for free. 4H shows are fun, and watching one you see how much they have learned about their cavy and how much they love them. You can find nice babies to buy of one you may never have found any other way. And, gee, maybe you can find a new fun hobby and many friends along the way. Cavy shows are positive, not all negative like some of these nay-sayers report. Just thought you might like to hear the "other side."

Trixie

Cavy Slave
Keep in mind, in order to show any animal. They must be up to full performance.. Other wise shiney coats (well feed) well groomed, Great teeth( vet visits). People who show animals aren't all that bad of people. They have to know everything there is to know about there "show". My mom used to show cocker spanials. We had one named Blade that had his own trainer that would travel with him on is outtings. Blade was very well taken care of. He got everything he needed and more. He also won several awards. And was a top stud for a while. He had his own bed in the house his own food bowl etc. The best part.. Blade was a rescue, along with his sister peppermint patty (pepper) who we also showed and did well. They were rare breeds Chocolate in color.

Just remember not all people who show animals are horrible people. I am sure not, and neither is my Mom

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Same old song and dance from the showers/breeders.

You think because we are not in support of the practice of showing that somehow that translates to calling the people who show "horrible people." Get over it already.

It's about BREEDING. SHOWING IS ABOUT BREEDING (whether you do it or not). Yeah, sure, it's FUN! DUH! You get to socialize and chit chat, and ew and ah over everyone else's pigs. You get to win ribbons. You get to compete. It's called a SPORT afterall, right?

For those of you people who think it's all about the fun little times you have at the shows, you need to go do some more research.

Whether it's 4H or the ACBA, GUINEA PIGS ARE LIVESTOCK, not pets. They are COMMODITIES to the hobby breeders. The proof is EVERYWHERE.

This thread is DONE.

Status
Not open for further replies.