Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Showing piggies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treen

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the offer, but I actually can't stand it so make a point of not bothering to try and interpret it most of the time! I like the English language, and think text talk is an insult to it - I accept language evolves over time, but text talk is just plain disintegration!

jennz11

Cavy Slave
i dont see what the big deal is with text type, i mean its a faster way to type and its not like people dont understand one little text type or something that they can't understand the sentence at all and its kinda fun like...lol and stuff. buts its not like you're gonna use it on ur resume or something. = P (is the smiley text type?)

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Look, it's a forum policy to stick with easy-to-read plain english. It's being called "text type" now? News to me. As far as I'm concerned, most of it looks like gibberish. PLEASE take the time to find WORDS to express your thoughts.

I skip over the gibberish and cannot be bothered to try to fathom what the person THINKS they are saying. If I started writing in Kanji would you have a clue? No.

Again, please keep that stuff to a bare minimum. Or find a forum where smilies, chat speak and 'text talk' are de rigueur.

Setsuna

Cavy Slave
=d You Know Japanese????

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, but to me, "equal sign" and "D" may as well be. And no, I don't want to know what it means.

Setsuna

Cavy Slave
....*insert somewhat shot down enthusiasm image* Alrighty then sunshine...

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave

Setsuna

Cavy Slave
*insert grudgy look* Your so sweet. *sarcasm*

jennz11

Cavy Slave
well if u dont know what equal sign and "D" are

then what is colon and bracket???

Access

Cavy Slave
I have seen one cavy show in my life. At the local fair. Frankly I would not want to be a pig in this show. The lucky pigs are the ones that these irresponsible owners give away because they breed is not 'pure' or 'optimum'.

The pigs are kept alone, in wire bottom cages of area less than a square foot. No bedding, water, but no food while on display (food makes them poop). Many pigs had their hair wrapped in these bun-things to create those whirls or other effects that are indicitive of certain breeds. Pigs show signs of inbreeding - albinism, hair loss or no hair at all, etc. At least in a dog show, the dogs seem happy to be doing what they're doing. These pigs just sit around in cages all day... they don't look happy at all.

The judges rate the pigs on things like breed and temperment, so owners are incentivized to drug their pigs (to calm them down) and to continually breed in order to try to produce the 'perfect' offspring according to breed guidlines. I guess it's even worse for the mama pigs... being forced to breed repeatedly with different males all in the quest for the 'perfect' offspring.

Once you see it up close, you'll hate it.

Setsuna

Cavy Slave
Ugh That makes me mad.

Heres what a breeder i have spoken too online said to me when i said something about not wanting to do Shows:

"Some food for thought...

>There is alot of misinformation out there relating to guinea pigs especially from animal rights activists ( ARA ) and anti breeder groups...all of whom don't have collective practical experience owning and raising these animals.....

>You have to be careful where you find info from. Such as showing....it is no more stressful than changing feeds & housing or relocating the animal. If conditioned they can be well adjusted to handle those stresses. I start our pigs showing at a young age, even though it is of little benefit to show young animals, just to get them accustomed to the whole ordeal. I haven't ever had a problem with them. We always bring veggie snacks for rewards and they seem to handle everything just fine. If one tries to replicate the "perfect" environment for their animals the fewer stresses the animals can handle and cannot adjust to changes when faced with them. I have heard some local breeders talk of their set ups, having climate controlled housing, lights and exhaust fans set on timers, and auto supplement feeders etc. But I don't see their animals handling showing and such very well when faced with different climate conditions etc. "

: / I think id prefer they have al little stress as possible and be treated with more love than previously thought possible and have a little stress when thier cage changes rather than try to BUILD STRESS TOLERANCE. I think she made a pitiful excuse...

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
The long haired pigs Ive seen at the Del Mar Fair looked really pretty, but very uncomfortable. If people can get migranes from long hair I hate to think how painful life is for those pigs. I was so sad when I saw the pigs they had there. I wanted to take all of them home.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Heres what a breeder i have spoken too online said to me when i said something about not wanting to do Shows:

"Some food for thought...

>There is alot of misinformation out there relating to guinea pigs especially from animal rights activists ( ARA ) and anti breeder groups...all of whom don't have collective practical experience owning and raising these animals.....

So now, we have to debate the ACBA breeders through you?

This is the first comment that has angered me in a long time. And it's not your comment, it's the quote from the breeder.

I know exactly who the handful of breeders are that are constantly trying to paint us as ARA cavy-huggers, like that's some bad thing.

I'd like to know EXACTLY what MISinformation this person is talking about. I want the source and the link to it.

...all of whom don't have collective practical experience owning and raising these animals.....

What a complete and utter crock of bull.

So, I take it this person (and it would seem a large majority of ACBA members) believes that all breeders are against animal rights? Anyone who breeds cannot champion animal rights? I think not.

Setsuna

Cavy Slave
CavySpirit said:
So now, we have to debate the ACBA breeders through you?

*text omited*

I'd like to know EXACTLY what MISinformation this person is talking about. I want the source and the link to it.
*insert look of nervous surprise* Your not blaming me for what she said are you...?

I cant give you a link because it was an email. Id asked her Cavy questions and she asked me if i was interested in showing. i replied no because i didnt want to stress my babies out and that was the reply she sent me. I think her justification is Bull too though...

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Your not blaming me for what she said are you...?

No, that's why I said: "This is the first comment that has angered me in a long time. And it's not your comment, it's the quote from the breeder."

Setsuna

Cavy Slave
Ok you just sounded angry i was afraid you were mad that id posted it at all.

Access

Cavy Slave
Yeah I get nightmares about people (breeders) like that, in one dream I walked into the same barn at the fair and there were a bunch of people in cages, and giant cavies that stood upright, going around to the different cages and poking the people with sticks and things to see how they responded. But the cavies would actually act pretty nice, they would pose for pictures with people and what-not. In the dream I even took a few pictures (because I didn't think people would believe me that I met a bunch of giant guinea pigs) and shortly after I woke up to find myself standing up and holding my camera, taking pictures of the wall.

I guess you could look at the dream symbolically, in that I'd like to see these 'breeders' who say it is OK to do this to their pigs to stand in a cage for days on end, locked up, with no food and limited supply of water and absolutely nothing at all to do. Not to mention the forced breeding with different males, all in the quest to create the 'perfect' pig...

The breeders argument breaks down in that showing the pig is not something you _have_ to do... changing the bedding or filling the food bowl and water is a necessity. Showing the pig is anything but 'natural' and it is something people impose on their pig rather than do to benefit him. To them, the pig is not a pet or a friend or a 'buddy' they want to go through life with, he is just a way to make a name for themselves and to win money at a show.

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
How funny "woke up to find myself standing up and holding my camera, taking pictures of the wall." that made me laugh.

jhoban

Cavy Slave
The problem here with hostile posting is that you dont get all the info first. I bought my pig and got yelled at for it. However, I called all shelters I could find and they didnt have any, so am I just to be deprived of having a pig? I also wanted to let them have one litter instead of buying more. I asked for help about setting up a cage, and instead of helping with my question, I got screamed at, and my question went unanswered.

It is absolutely fine to voice your opinion, just make sure you know all the facts about a persons situation first. Not to mention answering their questions before voicing that opinion.

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
I plan to go to a show in February. It'll be the first I've ever been to & I'm not a supporter, but I'm curious as to what the standards are over here.

Status
Not open for further replies.