Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Shower head filters....

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
So I found an article that said this about traditional filters, and that Vitamin C ones remove 100% of the chlorine whereas others, you can only hope that it removes the chlorine, because the water moves so fast, making the filtering process difficult, and the water is typically hot, which is also bad for filtering.
Then I find this saying that vitamin c+chlorine+water=Hydrochloric Acid.
And that Hydrochloric acid is a highly corrosive acid and that World War I chemical weapons phosgene and mustard gas worked by causing hydrochloric acid to form on the skin or deep in the lungs.

So what am I supposed to believe?

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Well, people do use them so maybe it's not true? I would hope not lol, or you'd be clean right down to the bone! I saw them on a show the other day actually, looked interesting, but my water and soap is all I need thanks lol!

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I know. I would think if it were true, it wouldn't be allowed, and people would report it happening or something. We need one to filter the chlorine, as it makes me break out in red itchy spots during the shower, and my feet look weird. It goes away in a matter of minutes once I get out though, and putting a blend of coconut and olive oil helps to soothe my skin.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Oh yuck, that must not fell good at all! Well, hopefully you find what your looking for and good luck! Hopefully not more nasty showers for you!

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
I did a little more re-search (I actually looked at the comments on the one for the vitamin c filters, and somewhere in the comments someone said that the hydrochloric acid is a scare tactic or something like that.
I'm actually thinking about getting both a Sprite Oxygenics filtering shower head, and attach the VitaC Shower filter and attaching it to the other one, because the Vitamin C one can attach to your existing shower head. That way it would be doubly filtered.
I hope we can order it soon!

Tserisa

Cavy Slave
May I ask why you want to remove the chlorine?

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
I explained why in my second post. And because chlorine is bad for you.
Why would anyone NOT want to remove the chlorine from your water?

Last edited:

Tserisa

Cavy Slave
Sorry, I didn't see that. :(

The reason I asked was because there are different ways of removing chlorine depending on what you were going to use it for, so I had other ideas if you wanted other suggestions. *shrugs* It wasn't meant to sound accusatory or something... I'm sorry if I offended you.

If a person DOESN'T want to remove it does that make them strange or wrong somehow?

For the record, there's no actual *elemental chlorine* in water after it's added, it turns into things like hypochlorous acid and sodium hypochlorite in reaction with the water. It is these chemicals which actually kill the Oregon Trail diseases like dysentery. Hehe. Also, chlorine has a short lifespan (it will dissolve from water that is exposed to air for 24 hours, obviously worthless for a shower) -- however, *chloramine* will stick around. Some water supplies add chloramine and some don't.

The amount of chlorine in water varies widely from place to place, depending on the water quality in the first place. For example, around here, the level is very low.

I don't go swimming (don't even know how!) but I can imagine since you have a reaction to it you absolutely can't go in pools or hot tubs. :( The levels in there are so extremely high. I can't STAND the smell of pools, all that chlorine.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Oh, that's okay. :)
Yeah, I did a lot of re-search about it, and there actually isn't a thing wrong with it in its in-organic form (chloride), but when it is added to water it forms something that starts with a T (can't remember what, and It isn't bookmarked on this computer), and it becomes very harmful (carcinogenic(sp?) ). So we always filter our water just to be sure.

It's just been after we moved that I started reacting to it, because before we had well water. I was okay with swimming in pools with it, but my hair always got stick dry, and my skin was really dry too, but now I can't. I don't like the smell of chlorine either. That is why if we get a pool we are going to make it salt water (even though it does form chlorine to, it isn't anywhere near as bad, and doesn't smell like chlorine, and doesn't dry your skin our hair out, really).

I wasn't trying to make it sound as if if you don't want to filter it it makes them strange or wrong.

What other ways are their to filter it?
We really want to get a whole house filter, but we can't right now, because they are so expensive.