Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Should we get another pig? And how would we bond them?

kraykraycavy

Cavy Slave
About two months ago we lost gigi, and daisy has coped extremely well. And she is rather lonely. my parents said no more piggie's. But my mum can see she is lonely so she will cave into finding her a friend.
Diasy is laid back, but can get sort of aggressive. She eat's a lot. and just like's lie down. She's 6 years old. I was thinking of finding a younger pig. Just because daisy was two when we got gigi and gigi was not even a year old. and the whole dominance thing worked well, So gigi learnt that pippa was the boss.
But is it wise to get another piggie?
And if so apart from putting them on neutral territory, and piggie bath's what else can I do bonding wise?

Quee is between 4 and 5 years old, and has lived alone for most of her life until we adopted her last month. Earlier this month we got her a friend, Kwee, barely a couple months old. Their introduction couldn't have gone smoother; Quee, who is generally very quiet, lazy and shy, took charge pretty quickly and showed Kwee that she was the boss. Now you can't separate them if you try. ;)

Having a second guinea pig is a great idea. Pigs are herd animals and benefit physically, mentally, and emotionally by having a buddy to keep the company.

If you are worried about introductions, just follow the instructions at Guinea Pigs Social Life It will tell you everything you need to know. The information on intros is about half way down the page.

Ditto Catahoula about reading the link she gave you.

But if you get a young pig, you've got several more years of guinea pig ownership ahead of you. If your mom isn't up for that, consider getting an older one. Age doesn't have much, if anything, to do with how well they get along after they're past the adolescent stage. There are plenty of wonderful senior pigs in shelters who would love a great forever home.

I agree that another senior might make a good match. They've been there, done it all and just want to relax and enjoy life.

I agree that another senior might make a good match. They've been there, done it all and just want to relax and enjoy life.

This made me smile. It explains my Scouty so well. He can always be found reclining in his cage, watching Harper stress and whistle over everything. I can imagine he shakes his head at him often :)
I am also considering getting a new girl for Radley now that I have confirmation on her gender. I am going to wait until April to get a new one so I can make sure she isn't stressed. Would it be better to get an adult for an 8 month old or a baby?
Good luck on your search!

Good Luck on finding @krakraycavy. I am having an issue with my Boar. He is only a couple of months old, and although I get him out twice a day for a quick cuddle, a brush, a treat and he has learnt the sound of my voice, for the rest of the time I don't want him to be alone. The idea of finding an old guy from a rescue centre helps a lot. You'd be giving an old chap a good home to grow old in and giving them both a friend to go about business with.I'm glad I stumbled across this page, it has helped a lot thank you! :tearsofjo

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.