Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Not Eating Should I syringe feed water?

BlueButterfly

Cavy Slave
I'm a little worried about my new guinea pig, because I haven't seen him drink from his water bottle. He's eating pellets and veggies just fine, and he appears to poo and pee just fine, although it's hard to tell since he's in their with his roommate. I know it's not the water bottle, because his previous owner gave me his old one and he wouldn't drink from that one either. He's not dehydrated, I did the pinch test. I gave him water loaded food, watermelon and celery, and I make sure his veggies are soaked. I'm wondering if he's just nervous to drink around me. I heard the ball in their water bottle clicking last night before I went to sleep, and I looked over and saw he was the closest to it. But the point is, I'm wondering if I should start trying to syringe feed him water. I really don't want to, because I know it would stress him out so much, and he's already pretty shy, and force feeding him water would not help him bond with me. But, I don't want him to get dehydrated. Any advice would be appreciated much!

I'm a little worried about my new guinea pig, because I haven't seen him drink from his water bottle. He's eating pellets and veggies just fine, and he appears to poo and pee just fine, although it's hard to tell since he's in their with his roommate. I know it's not the water bottle, because his previous owner gave me his old one and he wouldn't drink from that one either. He's not dehydrated, I did the pinch test. I gave him water loaded food, watermelon and celery, and I make sure his veggies are soaked. I'm wondering if he's just nervous to drink around me. I heard the ball in their water bottle clicking last night before I went to sleep, and I looked over and saw he was the closest to it. But the point is, I'm wondering if I should start trying to syringe feed him water. I really don't want to, because I know it would stress him out so much, and he's already pretty shy, and force feeding him water would not help him bond with me. But, I don't want him to get dehydrated. Any advice would be appreciated much!

Soak his veggies in water for a few minutes before offering them. Some guinea pigs drink very little water. I wouldn't force feed him water since he can aspirate it into his lungs. Make sure his water bottle is in working order. Squeeze it to make sure the water comes out and press your finger against the little ball in the spout when it's hanging in the cage to make sure that water drips out when you do that. Keep his bottle in a place that easy for him to get to. Watermelon is loaded with water so he's probably getting enough from that. I'd give him less watermelon since it's also high in sugar and no more than a cup of veggies per day. Hay should be the primary food source.

Okay, thank you! I'm very glad I don't have to force feed him, that would not be fun. The water bottle works, I've tested it, and I've seen his roommate use it. And his bottle is on the very bottom bar with nothing blocking it. They only get two small chunks of watermelon a day, if that much. They're quite a change from my girls, who drink two-thirds of a bottle a day and get almost as exited for fresh water as for veggies!

My guinea pigs that I've had a week don't drink from their bottle either! I do wet the veggies down, but I worry they aren't getting enough water. I tried the pinch test just now on the one in my lap and he seems fine. Mine aren't finishing pellets either! Just eating veggies and hay.

When I first got my piggy he barely drank, but slowly over time he started drinking more. As long as he is eating pellets and hay, I wouldn't worry!! (Or you could try a bowl of water, at the beginning mine preferred that ... )

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.