Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fighting Should I put the piggies back together?

ohmypig!

Cavy Slave
My two boys were chattering, mounting and biting one another. There was no blood drawn- but they were going at it for a good 40 minutes. So I put a divider up in their cage hoping that they'd calm down.(Also, I'm about to go to bed and I don't want them to draw blood when I'm sleeping). Anyway- now the two of them are trying really hard to bite through the divider! They're chewing and pulling so hard with their little bodies that I'm afraid they're going to break their teeth! I don't think the chewing is necessarily out of aggression; it might be because they cage is suddenly half the size.

I feel bad since I'm depriving them of their frenemy and space- but those two need a time out! They're so desperate to get to the rest of the cage. Should I just take the dividers out?

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
My girls "fight" with each other all the time for long periods of time. They charge at each other and butt heads, lunge and "bite" but they never hurt each other. Sometimes they just have bad days.

I don't think anyone can guarantee nothing will happen but if it were me I wouldn't separate them.

How far away is the cage from where you sleep? I mean, mine is in my room and mine wake me up just being the brats they can be sometimes. I am sure if they REALLY got into it you would hear something if it was within earshot.

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
If there was no blood drawn, seperating and then re-introducing could be stressful and may even actually make them fight. When I even just reintroduce a pig that was in quarantine for being sick or even sometimes when I just take one out of the cage to hold/cuddle and then put her back in they all will start rumblestrutting, teeth chattering and such.

My pigs keep me up *constantly*, even with just the way they eat hay or walk around (they tend to chirp as they walk), since the cage is in my room - unless you are a *really* heavy sleeper, I doubt you could be able to sleep through two pigs aggressively fighting.

Shurrim

Cavy Slave
Leave them together. My boys were ennemies this morning, almost friend tonight. They fought a lot today, no blood. And later one was cleaning other's ear, they were eating hay from same rack. But they still fight a little from time to time. They've been introduced yesterday night. Give them time

ohmypig!

Cavy Slave
I removed the divider this morning. They're still rumbling and chattering away. Hopefully they'll work it out.

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
Rumbling and chattering is something I think you will always hear. Ernie and Barnaby still make these noises and they've been together 6 months or something like that.

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
My boys did the exact same thing, except Joey managed to get under the divider the little brat. They ended up working things out, and they have been together for over a year now. Sure they still do nose off, chatter teeth and mount but hey- boys will be boys. I wouldn't worry so much, chances are things will work out in the end!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.