Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Should I leave Mocha at home for the weekend? Or bring her?

trexgorawrrrrr

Cavy Slave
Well I will be going back to my home town this weekend. I'll be leaving tomorrow night, and getting back sunday. If I left her home, I could have my dad check on her saturday... But the thing is that I'm pretty sure she's pregnant. If you go to the pregnancy section, my thread is 'about 90% sure' or something like that...

I don't want to bring her if it's going to stress her out a lot, but don't want to leave her in case she were to have her babies. If I did leave I'd make sure to stock her up on her pellets/hay, then my dad could check on her saturday and give her veggies... I just don't want to leave her home, but I also don't want to stress her out. I need advice because we are leaving tomorrow night.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
If you could have your dad or someone check on her and feed her a few times (minimum 2) Friday, Saturday, and Sunday if you're getting home late, then I'd leave her home. Otherwise I don't know how you'd make sure she gets fresh hay and veggies.

trexgorawrrrrr

Cavy Slave
See, that's the thing... I know he's not going to come check on her twice a day. He would agree to the saturday thing, but otherwise she wouldn't be getting fresh hay or her daily veggies.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Then you need to make other arrangements. You can't have a pet and leave them for several days with just one check throughout. Pigs need fresh water, fresh hay, and fresh veggies throughout the day.

Also, depending on how pregnant she is, she might have a complication or something that will need attention. This could happen at any time but with a pregnant pig it's even more likely. A single pop-in to check on her for a three day period just doesn't cut it.

trexgorawrrrrr

Cavy Slave
I have no other option but to take her then. I have to go home for the weekend, it was a last minute thing that came up... And I need to go home. You're right about her possibly having a complication during birth, which is why I'm not taking any chances. I don't know how far along she is, but if it happened while I was gone I couldn't live with myself. I have a great exotics vet that is in my home town that I would be able to use for emergencies.

I just feel bad that she's going to have to be in a smaller petstore cage. The other thing is that she wouldn't have been able to get out of the cage time if she wasn't going, so we are just going to have to bring her.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
It'll just be for the weekend.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.