Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pigsitting Should I leave her or try to take her with me?

ZipBonBoo

Cavy Slave
I'm going away from Thursday to Saturday for Thanksgiving. We have a petsitter coming for all of our animals, but I'm worried because one of my guinea pigs is currently having medical issues.

We thought my guinea pig, Miso, had an ear infection after being off balance and tilting her head. She had about 2 weeks of antibiotics and the tilting went away, but then last week it came back, along with some weight loss. Now my vet is not sure if it's an ear infection or a neurological problem/something else, so she's on antibiotics, pain meds, and I'm syringe feeding her critical care for now as we investigate further. She is still eating on her own but the critical care is to help her gain back weight.

Anyways. I'm feeling a little worried about leaving her even if it's only for 2 and a half days. I'm not sure my pet sitter would be able to syringe feed critical care, I'll have to talk to her.

I'm not even sure if I would be able to take her with me and my family... but I figured I'd ask what everyone thought anyways. I might be able to make it work, but it depends on the hotel we're staying at. The other issue would be that she has 2 cage mates that would have to come as well, but space would be tight so they would likely have a very small space to share. I'm not sure if taking only her would be an okay thing to do, or if two and a half days would ruin her bond with her two friends right now (or if being alone would be too stressful). She and her two cage mates right now had a very rocky introduction and first few months together, but now they get along perfectly and she and my elderly pig cuddle almost constantly.

Again, I'm not sure if it's even possible to take her with us... but I'm asking for any advice regardless.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
IF you leave Miso with a sitter, then you need to walk the sitter through everything prior to leaving and observe her going through the entire routine. That way you will know if she can handle the situation Write a care sheet with specific instructions and do include your Vet's contact information.

This is the time where a pet store cage comes in handy......but not for three adult cavies. I've done it both ways with a sitter coming in, and also taking the piggy (only one) with me. Considering that you have three, I vote for leaving them at home in their familiar environment. My second choice would be to just take Miso and leave the others at home.

It doesn't sound like an easy decision, but you know the situation better than any of us.

ZipBonBoo

Cavy Slave
Im sorry to say I wont be needing to decide anymore. I came home today to find that Miso had passed away. Thank you for your advice anyway.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm very sorry you lost Milo.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I was also going to say, opt for leaving them all together with a sitter that knows exactly what's needed. And then I read further.

I am so sorry you lost Miso. It's never easy to lose a beloved ball of fur, though I'm sure it's definitely better than returning to find her gone.

Rest in peace, Miso. Go, and find all your new little furry friends at the Rainbow Bridge.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Im sorry to say I wont be needing to decide anymore. I came home today to find that Miso had passed away. Thank you for your advice anyway.

Fly free over the Rainbow Bridge, Miso! :love:

angiee

Cavy Slave
Noooooo! I'm sorry for your loss :(
Please have a good Thanksgiving <3

MysticalMysty

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for your loss. Rest in peace, baby Miso. <3

Pigsforever

Cavy Slave
R.I.P. Miso hope he had a good and happy life with you.Super Sad but keep your head up.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.