Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Should I get another pig or not?

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
There's no guarantee that they'll get along, but by far the largest majority of pigs do. I can't believe the shelter told you they won't.

How old are the pigs? What gender(s)? And how big is the cage?

Well, putting a nine-month-old in with an adult is likely to be iffy. Critter Corral is a rescue, not a shelter, as far as I know. Would they let you bring your pig in to pick out his own friend?

Personally, I liked having the rescue make me bring mine in to find a friend. It's amazing how fast they bond. And it's a memory that I will cherish for a while. But that's what happened in my case...each rescue is different with different rules.

I volunteer with Critter Corral but I'm not at any of the foster homes where the guinea pigs live. We don't have a shelter "building." I can tell you from experience where we've tried to find companions for guinea pigs that were brought to pair up with another one, they do get stressed and if you keep introducing them to different guinea pigs in the same spot, you have the scent from each one you introduce. They will often get very agitated. I was at one of our adopt a pets where someone brought in a young dominant one and he just got more and more agitated. You can always try and see if they might be compatible but an introduction where they seem to be getting along is never a guarantee that they will not fight later. I'm sure a lot of people on here can tell you that males sometimes suddenly show dominance after appearing to be bonded to another one. At our annual pignic, the outdoor environment seems to be a little better for trying introductions. We have pens set up on the grass which is a neutral area with no scent markings. The event spans over a few hours so there's enough time to see how they react to one another. A foster home is a completely different story. There isn't necessarily the space or amount of time to really see how they do for a longer period of time. I wonder if they are thinking yours might not get along with another one is because of something you told them about his personality. My senior male is from Critter Corral and he immediately hit it off with my neutered 3 year old male. I had no doubt they would get along because they're both docile, laid back, almost submissive boys. I took in the senior without ever seeing him in person. Personalities are usually the key to compatibility.

I have two 9 month olds and they both act like a bunch of beeouches.... My 5-6 month old a tends to just do his thing and ignore them.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that Rose, who runs Critter Corral, is exceptional at matching guinea pigs. She knows their personalities and if you tell her about yours, she can usually find a good match. She will always be up front with you, though, and tell you that there is no guarantee that they won't fight. There are a lot of factors that come into play when housing them together. If you want some sort of guarantee that the one you adopt will get along with yours, no rescue will ever tell you that it's guaranteed. What no rescue really wants is to see guinea pigs going back and forth between homes and the rescue because they've already been displaced at least once and moving them around puts additional stress on them. Your best bet is to adopt a really laid back guinea pig that has been housed with another one. If yours is very dominant, it will probably be a risk no matter which one you choose.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.